Thursday, January 03, 2013

that magical moment




On Tuesday it was my last day of holidays. I really wanted to make the most of it - and squished in heaps. So much that I wasn't sure if I'd be able to fit in a bike ride before sunset. But I tempted fate and set out for a ride at 6.30pm.

Oh, I am glad I did. Have a look at that view. Riding out to the end of the Nobby's breakwall is quite possibly one of the most spectacular rides for a pootler like myself (pootler = a bike rider who just pootles along - the opposite of my husband's style of riding!)

Naturally, I have only one choice for my French word of the day:
Coucher du soleil (coo - che d so - ley) sunset

I snapped this shot while I was out there. Sure, it's an iPhone instagram shot, not the real camera photos I'm aiming for this year - but I'm rather proud of the composition and colours. And, seriously, don't you have to admit - what a beautiful town this is.

4 comments:

  1. An absolutely gorgeous shot, looks like the perfect time of day for a bike ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing. So beautiful.
    I prefer soleil to sun. I don't know how to explain it. I just remember the first time I saw that that was the French word for Sun a couple of years ago, I remember just falling in love with it. Sounded so beautiful. So much more reverent, somehow than 'sun'.

    I'm more than a little odd. I do realise this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No need to apologise re the quality of the shot....it is really impressive. How lovely to be out pootling at that time of day too. I would need a 3-wheeler these days and not sure I could manage that either. :)
    I too think soleil a beautiful word but it never fails to amaze me how European languages use so many words to say something simple. A whole phrase just to say sunset! Another word I love is the French for sea...la mer. Sounds romantic.
    A great way to end the last day of your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't we lucky to live in such a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x