Sunday, March 07, 2010

nice nibbles

Hi, I'm back! We've had a busy weekend, filled with tasty treats - so I thought I'd share some of the recipes with you.

On friday we went to a friend's house so the girls could swim, and we could sip champagne. I wanted to take some nibblies, but my cupboard was nearly bare. However, scraping around can help devise the most delicious combinations. I did find a chorizo, a tin of chickpeas, a few french eshallots and a lime. So I sauteed the diced eshallots, then added diced chorizo and let it all brown. Next I drained a tin a chickpeas and added that to the pan. I let it all cook through, added salt and pepper and a squeeze of lime.

While this cooked, I threw a few pieces of pita bread onto an oven tray, drizzled them with olive oil and sprinkled salt flakes over the top.

I piled the chickpeas and chorizo into a bowl, cut the crispy pita bread into chards and it was rather yummy. In fact, my 10-year-old was its most devoted fan.

Last night I went to a fabulous dinner party and took along red wine and thyme caramelised shallot, goat cheese and walnut tarts. I sliced the shallots thinly {6 largish french shallots} and slowly cooked them in butter and olive oil till transluscent {15 mins...}. Then I poured in some red wine, added a few sprigs of thyme and a spoonful of brown sugar. 10 minutes later it was beautiful.

I bought little tart cases from The Essential Ingredient and placed a dollop of the shallots in the bottom. I topped this with a dollop of goat cheese and then placed a walnut half of top of this {I'd cooked the walnuts in a little butter, some dried thyme and a little salt and sugar}. These little bites were rather nice with Violette Cocktails and champagne...

And your weekend? How was it? Tell me all...

4 comments:

  1. I love the sound of those tarts. My weekend has been ok. Spent a couple of hours this morning fixing up the references for my thesis. Sigh. Not very exilarating. Eating lots of rice and making myself tasty iced teas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tasty rice and ice teas sound great - but at least you've done the referencing - always the worst part of a thesis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm, sounds good!
    we made tomato sauce today, the rain did not stop us..oh and hot cross buns this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh Cathie, I can't wait to see your hot cross buns - I'm sure they'll look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x