Tuesday, March 09, 2010

cult of celebrity

You know one of the things I liked best about the Oscars? The fact that it's filled with real celebrities - people who are famous for a reason. When I was growing up people had a reason for appearing on the covers of magazines - because they had a talent which made them famous. David Cassidy - star of The Partridge Family and singer. Easy. Celebrity.

But now, now we have Kardassians who are now famous because they have their own reality show, but they only got that reality show because of Kim's, um, xxx-capades. And Lara Bingle, why is someone who had a line in a tourist campaign being presented as Aussie's-own royalty? I care not one naught for her or her cricket-playing beau. Yes, what happened to her recently is pretty damned awful, but, well, maybe it's karmic... Tragically I reckon it'll just serve to make her more famous so that maybe she'll soon have Day-Of-The-Week Astin Martins. If she gets a television series out of this I'm seriously ditching the plasma.

I don't want to celebrate Reality Stars - I want real stars. And while we're at it bring back the HUGE, all-colour, life-sized posters. Bless - how cute were the 70s?

11 comments:

  1. Tiger Beat! I lurved Tiger Beat... oh, and Teen something... Teen Dream? Nah, cannot remember.

    Did I ever tell you the story of the David Cassidy poster with no lips? No? Hmmm, remind me to later...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I'll bet I can imagine what happened to the lips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't agree more! People are now becoming famous merely because they have famous parents, or even just for being famous. It's ridiculous! Which leads me to ask, what on earth was Nicole Richie doing at the Oscars?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kellyansapansa I was going to say Nicole Richie was the exception... However, Joel Madden was DJing there so at least she was there as his partner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I still win a lock of Donny's hair?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Vicki - I'm sure he'd be up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. More importantly girls - who is Bobby and why is he heartbroken? Is it because I have no freaking idea who he is?

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, Bobby Sherman!! Swoon!!

    You said it, Sister!!
    Let's bring back the days when you actually had to be TALENTED to be a celebrity! Do you think those days are gone forever? Man, I hope not!

    Thanks for the smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. While I was not a David Cassidy fan, I so agree with your take on reality TV stars, models and sports people being given the royal treatment. Lets celebrate women like Dr Fiona Wood, Prof Fiona Stanley - just 2 names off the top of my head - women who have done something for society who are not just celebrated because they look good or have big boobs or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm trying to raise my daughter with good role models Kakka - which is damned difficult when a Pussycat Doll is put forward as appropriate. I'm trying to praise sport-stars, activists and women who've made a difference - well said!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh and Anything Fits A Naked Man - thank you for letting me know who Bobby is - obviously he's still doing it for you all these years later. Must google him now!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x