Tuesday, June 09, 2009

what about me?

I don't know if it's just a girl thing, that becomes magnified when it also becomes a mum thing, but tell you what, how hard is it to do something for yourself? Take yesterday. We got home from a sleepover at our in-laws and I rushed to put on a load of washing, then hubby and I sat down to go through my tax {without killing each other - hurrah}, then I made snacks for hungry girls, and felt overwhelmingly tired. 

Instead of napping I thought I'd go for a walk - more invigorating. Then I looked into the backyard and realised that a few windy days have probably left the trees in the planter boxes by the pool rather thirsty, so I took myself out to water them. 45 minutes later I'm inside, and preparing dinner - no walking. 

Then, I smacked myself into some sense and realised how much I need a daily walk. I love it for the exercise, the stress-relief and the time to myself. So at 5.30, despite the darkness, I headed off to the beach and boy, was it fabulous. Sure, it was a little scary {seriously, were there more streetlights when I was a kid, or were they just brighter? It's so freaking DARK these nights!} but that just made me walk more briskly. I got to see the most amazingly full moon hanging over the ocean leaving a shimmering white path from the horizon to the shore which was pretty cool. I got to breathe in that amazingly fresh ocean air and hear waves come crashing down on the wet sand.

I came home in a much better mood, refreshed, no longer tired and capable of doing so much more than I would have with a nap. I'm now even more determined to fit a 30 minute walk into every day - seriously, if it were a drug I'd be taking it every day...

2 comments:

  1. It is hard to fit in things for ourselves. As a mum and wife we're stretched 100 different ways every single day, that's leaves very little time for the things we want and need to do for ourselves. I think it's only the rich ladies who have nannies, cleaners and no jobs who can take time to be truly selfish! Oh how I wish that was me some days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss walks o much right now. I have a feeling if I got exercise, I would be about 50% more sane. Or if I got time to myself that didnt involve my having to do homework or housework anyhow while I should be doing nothing. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x