Monday, June 15, 2009

my unreal life

You'll never see me auditioning for reality television. For a few minutes earlier this year I pondered applying for MasterChef, and every night as I watch it I'm sooooooo glad I didn't. For a start, the challenges stump me. Last night? Kingfish, coconut, pineapple and rum? Sure, I can imagine making a few things out of them - but nothing I'd want to eat. The contradictory nature offends me as well. "Think outside the box" exhort the judges, "Don't go out of your comfort zone," they implore... Huh?

Last night the judges whooped with joy when Geni affirmed that she'd be making baklava with the nuts, then tutted and told her she needed to step away from home-cooking when said dish was placed before them. And let's not get started on the vicious forums dedicated to reality contestants. Harsh, mean, soul-destroying. Seriously, if I were MasterChef contestant Sandra and her hubby I'd be moving to another country - one without access to YouTube... 

That said, of course I tune in every night. My week's not complete without its reality run. As horrified as I am by the treatment of Cassie on Australia's Next Top Model do you reckon I'll be protesting by turning it off? Um, nope. It does mean that I'll be helping to realistically boost my daughter's self-esteem, and, should she ever state she'll be auditioning for one of these programs, I'm pretty sure I'll be investing in a couple of plane tickets and scooting her out of town quick smart. 

Reality really does bite.

3 comments:

  1. sooo, true! I too tune in every night though....
    and yes..I do try to think outside the box but within my comfort zone too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit I love to watch MasterChef too but do we need so much 'drama'...it's food people. I wanna see what they cook and pretend I could make it too! I don't need tears. And it's so mean how they get treated in the forums...they are real people! Wish I had foxtel...I hear so many people talking about Top Model

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree Mrs.P, I'd jump on a forum to remind everyone that the contestants are real people - but then they'd rip me to shreds and I'm way to much of a scaredy cat to allow that to happen.
    I'm pretty sure that you can watch Top Model on YouTube and if I had the slightest bit of technical know-how I'd let you know how... It's fabbo though and well worth hunting down.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x