Tuesday, September 14, 2010

cheap tricks

Okay, with planning and booking being in place for our OS trip in only 10 months it's time for a serious lock down on finances. I'm looking to find 10 cheap tricks in 10 weeks to help me save so we can splurge in France. Every dollar spent here is 72 euro cents I won't have to spend. So I'm going to get cheap and I'd like to share my tricks with you.

Now, it's not going to be easy as I'm already pretty frugal. But I'm going to do my best to find some funky ways to save.

Here's this week's trick: pantry cooking.
I'm going to raid my pantry, fridge and freezer and see how many meals I can create without the need for shopping. Tonight's sorted - I've got a tin of red salmon, panko bread crumbs, eggs, potatoes, eshallots, corn, pinenuts and herbs in the window boxes to make salmon patties. I also have sweet potato and pumpkin to roast and serve alongside. And ha, there's some cabbage too...

Tomorrow night we've got dinner guests so I'll buy some beef to roast up a casserole, and I have potatoes to make dauphinous - but I'll see if I can whip up dessert from my pantry {chocolate puddings perhaps?}. Thursday night? Well, I stocked up big on chorizo on coles at the deli - it was half price so I bought four chorizo for just over $5 - I KNOW! I'll make up a batch of potato and chorizo tarts to freeze for my gal's school lunches and will make pasta and chorizo bake with the others {there's always pasta and the makings of a red sauce in the pantry}. Friday night I'll defrost the chicken breasts I froze the other day and make chicken schnitzel with half and a chicken curry for saturday night with the rest. Sunday night will be roast night with yummy stuff from the farmer's markets - that won't change - but monday I'll make spaghetti carbonara with garlic, spaghetti, bacon, parmesan and eggs. How's that? Almost a week's worth of meals and I'll only need to spend around $25 on the ingredients for two of the meals.

Cheap trick indeed.

4 comments:

  1. I love cheapness ... love that kitchen pic even more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex isn't it perfection! I just love the wee spotted bench with that magnificently iced cake placed just-so... Oh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can raid my pantry any day, clever PPMJ. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea of raiding the pantry. We've had a few skint weeks and the pantry/freezer has been a godsend. Looking forward to hearing more cheap tricks lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x