Thursday, December 18, 2008

starting over

I had my very last day in the office yesterday and as of today am 100 per cent freelance. It's a blissful fresh start, and one I'm very, very excited about. Firstly, I won't have to wake at the ungodly hour of 5.45am to catch a train. A stinky train that's always too cold, no matter what the season, and is often filled with unsavory and potentially scary people. Secondly, I won't have to break up my week with a two day stint away from home. That'll be nice, and hopefully I'll be more organised and will have lovely meals to prepare every night, and bountiful fresh harvest in my fridge to whip up delish salads or soups for lunch. 

But.

I'll miss staying with my dear friends one night a week. That was one of the high points of my week. We laughed, we conversed, we shared the odd bottle of wine... I'll miss that.

I'll also miss the gals at work. In every other job there's always been some type of festering thorn in my side, a reason I'm happy to escape, but on this job, I met true friends. Really amazing and interesting people who've enriched my life. Lunchtimes were always the perfect chance to catch up and chat - and I feel so blessed that I met such wonderful people. The laughter we shared will keep resonating, even though I'm no longer there to shout out over the cubicles.

Creative people always tend to be a little out there - sometimes they're out there in a different direction to you - but every now and again, you find this incredible common ground that forges a bond so deep, you know that a few hundred kilometres isn't going to break it.

I'm looking forward to M & N coming up for the weekend, I'll be opening my home to them the way they opened theirs to me. And the girls at work will all be invited up one weekend for the world's biggest girly sleepover. Change is never a bad thing, just an opportunity to do something in a different way.

1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous. Oh wait, I technically work from home too. I'm not always so productive though- I should have lovely dinners done every night, I should have worked out everyday, I should work on my blogs and writing everyday and I should get every bit of homework done everyday. I should be polishing manuscripts.

    But some days I just kind of get nowhere. Is that part of working from home too? Maybe I'm just feeling insecure. I do miss human contact sometimes but also after all this time in my home, sometimes going out to have a life out with the rest of the world gets even more wearisome.

    I am still very, very proud of you. Never mind my whining- that can wait till another day! Have a apertif for me!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x