Saturday, December 20, 2008

it's just not christmas

I'm a huge fan of signifiers. I need a sign to know something exists, and for me, the Christmas sign is not a tree, or a Santa photo, it's driving around checking out the streets with Christmas lights. I love those families that sling lights and decorations over their homes for our viewing pleasure. 

We had our first drive last night, and tonight we're doing the drive and walk. We'll trek over to a neighbouring suburb, park our car at the top of our favourite cul de sac and wander down ooohing and aaahhhing over the santas, the reindeers, the wise men...

Yep, it's finally beginning to feel a lot like Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous. I love driving around to look at holiday lights- its really one of my favorite things to do, ever. But, alas, it's BLIZZARDING HERE. Gale force winds, buckets of snow and ice, not weather to venture out into.

    Best I go back to holiday cookie making and drinking some of my new green tea my mom sent me from her restaurant. Enjoy lights for me. Post a picture of the prettiest display you find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, here I was all jealous of your white christmas, but it doesn't sound as romantic as the ideal would have it. You sound like you're rocking the holiday baking though... can I borrow you for a few days? I have a picnic to attend this afternoon and haven't even thought about what to make and take. Eek!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x