Monday, December 29, 2008

book club

As an avid reader I place my books in categories. Meh: I'm only reading this to find out what happens. Fine: okay, but not life shattering. Fab: loved it, will read it again, and Oh, wow. I just read an Oh, WOW. The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen is such an incredible book. She's one of those rare authors who weave a spellbinding tale, complete with quirky, whimsical characters and can sprinkle on a bit of magic in the most believable manner. I adored every single second of this book.

The cover's different on my version though. It's a pretty blue, with a pair of feathered angel wings and a gorgeous, scroll-script title font in a pretty deep cerise. And it's dotted with raised, sparkly sugardrops. I bought the book for the cover, and I'm so very glad I did.

Oh, and it's spookily magic. One of the main characters in the book had a fondness for a lemondrop - an alcoholic drink I'd never heard of before. And then, less than 10 minutes after reading about this delicious-sounding drink, Jack, on Will & Grace, stepped up to the bar and ordered three lemondrops. Spooky huh? I'm about to google the ingredients, because these little beauties seem to be served in a martini glass - my favourite drinking vessel.

3 comments:

  1. mmmmm. Lemondrops. Those will always remind me of NYC since that is the first place that I had one.

    This sounds like just my sort of book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you like it. Love your blog btw - very inspirational! I also adore cooking and reading, but rarely comment on books on my blog (a former career as a reviewer sapped my strength). Off to have a mango now - the joys of summer in Aus...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have yet to read this one. It's on the list though! I really love lemon drops, especially lemon drop shooters, but an ice cold one as a martini is really lovely on a hot day.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x