Monday, December 01, 2008

cherry cheer

Ah, the joys of seasonal eating. I'm sitting here, nibbling on cherries - perfectly presented in a pink ramekin - and plotting christmas pudding recipes. We're off to a friends in two weeks for a christmas do, and I volunteered to make the pud for 10 adults. I'm planning on making a sweet number that nods in the direction of a summer pud, but with a difference. I'm lining a big pudding bowl with slices of chocolate cake, that I'm going to drizzle with some liqueur - not sure which flavour yet... then I'm going to allow some really nice vanilla icecream to soften before stirring in raspberries, cherries, unsalted pistachios and shards of dark chocolate. I'll then fill the chocolate well with this mix, then top it with more chocolate cake, weigh it down and refrigerate. I'll take it out an hour or so before serving, so the icecream's not too hard. Invert it, slice it and serve it with a vanilla marscapone 'custard' - studded with more pistachios. Yummo.

3 comments:

  1. You know that pudding sounds very nice - maybe sweet sherry?? I know its not exotic but with all the choc and berry flavours Sherry does not compete too much.

    what do you think?

    I have to make the pudding (trad.) this year so I will hopefully do it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I've never cooked with any type of sherry before, so I'm always happy to try something new. You're right, I don't want competition with the flavour - just a teeny little bite.

    Good luck with your pud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could soften the ice cream and stir in cream sherry or creme de cassis or even a hint of vanilla vodka along with the berries. The creme sherry or the creme de cassis would tint the ice cream a lovely color.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x