Friday, December 12, 2008

ain't no sunshine

Oh the irony in this sunburned country. It's raining here again - just as it has been, off and on, for weeks, months, etc. Of course it's delayed the completion of our backyard, but we probably wouldn't be able to swim in the pool anyway because who wants to swim when it's raining! The frustrating thing is that my stepmother emailed me yesterday to say that all their rainwater tanks were empty and they were going to have to use town water for the first time in two years. I think my mum's tanks down the other end of Australia are also verging on empty. Whereas here, good grief, we could fill about 55 000 swimming pools with the rain we've had over our house in the past year or so. 

You'd at least think it would be good for the gardens but even the plants are over it. When there's a break in the rain on the weekend I'll have to fling some manure at the base of the plants to make up for all the nutrients that must be getting washed away in the downpours. At least all the songs I know about rain are now clouding up my head, rather than Some Girls by Racey which seemed to take up residence for the past few days.

Oh rain, go away. Go play with someone who needs you.

2 comments:

  1. I feel this way, every day about snow. I recognize the necessity but I go ahead and hate it anyways. We had a really rainy spring and summer here too. Probably a trend from global warming or something. But yeah, every day that I wake up and glance new snow or precipitation, I sigh and gaze at how pretty it is in my back yard, then grit my teeth and stare at my driveway and sidewalks that need shoveled and de-iced. I hate cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say that living where I do the idea of snow seems so romantic -but I'm sure it'd get sludgy real quick!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x