Tuesday, January 10, 2012

online ease

I'm finding it very difficult to justify shopping in-store. As you know, I loathe shopping, and it's never made easy. For example, for YONKS now, I've wanted one of these gorgeous cast-iron, enamelled pots. I have my large Le Crueset pot, but this lower one is idea for a wide range of dishes - and programs such as Donna Hay made me covet a pretty white number.

But was it easy to buy?

It was not.

About six months ago I called the company, who told me to GO INTO my local David Jones and order one. So I tried.

Oh I tried.

Since our David Jones in Hunter Street closed down {still sobbing one year on} we're left with the barren wasteland of David Jones Westfield. If, by some extraordinary stroke of luck you happen to stumble upon a salesperson you can be guaranteed that they do not normally work in the area in which you're looking so really, can't help you. So they'll take down your details and someone will call you back.

Or they won't.

So you'll call, and nobody will answer, until somebody does and they'll take a message.

Then apparently eat the paper because nobody calls you back. How can they? They don't have enough staff to serve the actual customer live in the store.

So I kept using my large pot, with dampened baking paper on top of the cooking so it felt like I had less space and kept everything moist and fabulous. Still coveting. Still bemoaning David Jones Hunter Street closing.

But today my inbox pinged with the Peters Of Kensington newsletter. With a sale. And the above very pretty Provence Blue {my name - but seriously, this is the colour of Provence skies - bliss} Chasseur pot for only $147. Considering the other one retails for over $400 this is seriously bargain-a-licious. And it'll last a lifetime and I'll use it weekly. And pass it onto my daughter on my deathbed. I will love it, I will pet it, I will call it...

Love.

Ordered in 3 minutes, shipped here for under $10 and I'll be cooking in it by the weekend.

So, tell me again Gerry Harvey WHY I should shop in-store?

PS: Knock on my door at 11am - it's my delivery. Yep, less than 24 hour turnaround. And oh, it's SO PRETTY in person. Just perfect for cooking's tonight's pilaf with the leftover chicken with 40 cloves of garlic {recipe going on other blog it was OMGood.}

17 comments:

  1. I have been purchasing from my beloved peters of Kensington for years now to the point that the aust post delivery guy and I are practically best friends. Will never shop in store again. My friends now add things to my orders. Love love love POK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've bought a few things Meggsie and just love it. So simple and great prices too!

      Delete
  2. I have been purchasing from my beloved peters of Kensington for years now to the point that the aust post delivery guy and I are practically best friends. Will never shop in store again. My friends now add things to my orders. Love love love POK

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true - with sites like Peters of Kensington which are way cheaper than RRP, why would I shop instore? PoK will deliver direct to my work in Adelaide within days of purchase when I can only go to the CBD or a mall on weekends! Stuff Gerry Harvey. Let him cry on his solid gold bed and wipe his tears on $100 notes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your comment about the solid gold bed - that's GOLD!

      Delete
  4. I completely agree with you. It's very hard to justify going inshore when things are cheaper online and I really love having a parcel arrive at my door to unwrap!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why indeed! And so in love with your Provence Blue pot...hmmm sale you say...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, I have just upset Gerry Harvey as well after reading your post. What a gorgeous pot!! My credit card just jumped out of my purse and before I knew it my order had been placed. I am imagining all sorts of delicious dinners already......!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a clever credit car you have Wendy. Oh, and try the chicken with 40 cloves of garlic recipe I posted on my recipe blog - it's simply delicious!

      Delete
  7. What a fantastic bargain! I'm sure you've already got all sorts of delicious recipes in mind :) - Melissa xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Melissa, you are so right. Can't wait to get cooking!

      Delete
  8. I have had the same experience in Myer
    and David Jones at Robina (Gold Coast)
    I almost answered the phone in Myer as
    it was ringing for so long and was never answered. Customer service in this country is appalling.
    I live on the far Nth coast of NSW
    and drive an hour and half to shop
    at these stores and have been a loyal
    shopper at DJs for years. Shopping
    online keeps the blood pressure under
    check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel sorry for the staff at these stores, but the owners have to understand that the reason we go to an actual store is for CUSTOMER SERVICE. And you're right, keeping blood pressure and stress under check is online shopping's best bet!

      Delete
  9. OMG loving - and the colour a delight - egg blue, tiffany blue what would you call it ... le xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bit late with this comment, but I also ordered from Peter's a 24cm round Chassuer. Love, love it! So happy with it I decided to vist Peter's store on Saturday. Cannot speak highly enough of the awesome customer service. I swear never to step foot into DJ's or Myers again!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x