Friday, January 02, 2009

salad days

While I love a good salad, I've never really made one - until yesterday. I made a vietnamese chicken salad and it was mighty fine. Just in case you're interested, this is how I did it.

I grabbed two chicken breasts, poached them for 10 minutes, cooled, then shredded them. The I finely sliced 1/4 head of chinese cabbage,  sliced two lebanese cucumbers into thin batons, grated two carrots, sliced two green onions, chopped 1/2 bunch each of mint and coriander and then threw in 1/2 cup of salted peanuts. I then mixed the chicken through and dressed it with a dressing made from 60ml rice wine vinegar, 60ml fish sauce, 1/3 cup fresh lime juice and three tablespoons of caster sugar combined with two finely sliced birds eye chillis. It was very refreshing and healthy. So I followed it with a trifle!

Poached nectarine and raspberry trifle.
I poached the halved nectarines (6) in a syrup made from water, a couple of tablespoons of caster sugar, a vanilla pod and a good sloosh of rose syrup for 10 minutes (turning over halfway through cooking). Then I layered the nectarines on top of broken sponge cake (which I bought, I'm not crazy) and spooned the syrup over to moisten the cake. Then I studded raspberries in between the nectarines. I then spooned a whole tub of brandy custard over the top, then added another layer of sponge - moistened with the last of the syrup. I sprinkled more rapsberries over top and whipped up some cream to which I added the beans from the vanilla pod. All the cream was smoothed over the top and it was refrigerated for a couple of hours. It tasted damned good. Oh, if I wasn't hungover of course I would have added alcohol to the mix!

1 comment:

  1. Yum. Now fly out here to the tundra to visit me and cook ne these sorts of yummies for the remainder of my pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x