Monday, January 05, 2009

lovin' oven

Actually, that title's somewhat misleading. As you know, I adore cooking shows - however, I often suffer from appliance envy. Copper saucepans? Oh I lust after. Vanilla Kitchen Aid mixer? Oh be still beating heart. Pots of fresh herbs on the windowsill? If only mine wouldn't cark it after a week. But nothing, oh nothing, turns me green quicker than the pristine, shiny ovens on cooking shows. With their gleaming silver racks, and sparkly glass windows they all look showroom fresh. And how? How I ask you?

See, I spent an hour this morning removing everything removable from my oven and scrubbing it in sudsy, scalding water. Then I sprayed my oven with my lovely, non-toxic cleaner, and scrubbed, and scrubbed, and scrubbed some more. It's cleaner, but it's lightyears away from showroom fresh. It's not because I neglect it either. I clean it pretty darned regularly, and have tried all manner of options - bi-carb soda and vinegar, enjo oven gloves, gumption... and so much elbow grease I should have the most toned biceps in town! 

Nope, it's a used oven, and maybe I just really need to get over it. Who needs a window you can see through anyway?

2 comments:

  1. Those pots of herbs are probably traded out every time they die off. The vanilla kitchenaid mixer probably dies regularly- they just reshoot the scene so we never see it. As for the sparkling, showroom clean ovens? They have slaves who get paid to stay up all night cleaning those things. We may be domestic goddesses but nothing tops hired help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, and they get new le creuset every episode... but still, my heart aches for a kitchen slave to help make my life more shiny

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x