Tuesday, January 06, 2009

ooh ah, just a little bit

Last year I wrote a story on the benefits of small bursts of exercise and have decided to make that my mantra this year. While we've long heard of the benefits of getting 30 - 45 minutes exercise three to five times a week, for most of us, that just seems impossible to squeeze into our busy days. That's why I've decided to go for a 15 minute walk every day. C'mon, 15 minutes is NOTHING, you're barely even leaving the house. It's easy peasy, so therefore, you'll do it. And once you've done that 15 minutes you'll get the benefits: a little cardio fitness, a little muscle tone, stress relief, a little vitamin D, mood elevation... and you'll want to do it again, and again.

The problem with most exercise programs is the huge amount of time we have to dedicate to them. There's the drive to the gym or park, finding somewhere to park the car, getting changed, then spending 45 minutes to an hour working out, then getting back in the car, then getting home, getting changed. Eeek. Most of the time it just seems too hard. That's why, this year, 15 minutes is my mantra. An easy, breezy walk down to the beach, along the shore, then home. That said, I'm also going to whip out my Pilates DVD, throw a yoga mat on the floor and strike a few poses, just once a week. Oh, and I do so want to box at the beach on Saturday mornings. Even though it's a 45 minute class, it's only a five minute walk to get there and I adore every second of it. 

I know that exercising makes me feel fabulous, so this year, I'm putting myself first and doing a little, more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x