Sunday, May 06, 2012

mt washmore


All it takes is one busy week, and a couple of rainy days, and I start to feel defeated by Mount Washmore.  It's only 10.30 and I'm already onto my second load of darks, with a load of whites, and probably two loads of towels to go. Thankfully I've decided to switch back to Monday as clean sheet day - Sundays are too hectic.

See this piccy above? It's taken in the town of Tourtour in haute Provence when we visited last year. Many of the towns had these glorious "washing stations" {I've no idea what they're really called} where fresh spring water flows readily through old stone troughs. One day we saw a woman, dressed in beautiful white, flowing linen, bring a basket of clothing over to rinse here. I squealed in delight to witness such a glorious ritual, one that's probably taken place over centuries and generations.

And the view ain't half bad either. Check this out:


The only thing that I love more than an awesome view is one that's framed through something so beautiful. This glorious stone arch provided the picture-perfect frame for this shot. Can you just imagine living here? Can you?

Here's the town. Perched high on a cliff top. My husband chose the location purely for its proximity to the Tour de France route, and because he'd found a villa to perfectly accommodate three families. Not only was the villa spectacularly beautiful and absolutely perfect, this town is on my must-visit-again list.

See why?


Haute Provence is the road less travelled in this glorious area, but I've no idea why. It's just exquisite. So original and untouched. And look at the colours of that sky. I never tire of looking at them. It makes me want to pick up a paintbrush - no wonder it inspired so many artists.

Oh well, I'll keep washing with my lavender-scented wash pods and dream that I'm in Provence, and that my Fisher & Paykel is a washing trough with streaming Provencal water. Might help make tackling that pile a lot easier...

Enjoy your Sunday x

8 comments:

  1. Oh my sister and mum have stayed in Alpes de Haute Provence and loved it. I can't remember where they stayed but I know that I'm going to ask them when I next go to France!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it's just sublime. Much smaller than the main areas you think of in Provence, and the towns on the high cliffs are just divine. Start asking, and planning!

      Delete
  2. I wish I could be poetic about laundry but with 5 kids in the house... And as for the manky football socks from yesterday.....!

    As for Provence, my parents spend 3 weeks there every August/September, one day I will join them again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh em gee, I am totally going to disguise myself as you and join your parents. What a wonderful way to spend time. That's my dream!

      Euww, football socks. Do you do as I do and pop in half a cup of white vinegar with sports clothes? Takes out sweat and stinkiness but doesn't leave a smell of vinegar - it's genius.

      Delete
  3. Oh what a beautiful way to look at doing the laundry PPMJ, you're a true lady.
    It does look absolutely divine, I would LOVE to visit there one day and experience some of those rituals and traditions.
    It's always Mt Washmore around here too... and to be honest, I love it on days like today, plenty of sunshine and a little breeze, perfect! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you my lovely. It was just extraordinary - and I can't wait to visit again.

      Delete
  4. That view while washing is so much better than looking out at the stubble paddock. I think tomorrow as I hang out washing I'll close my eyes and imagine myself there, with that view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thinking Nat. Luckily yesterday's sky was a beautiful autumnal blue so I was able to gaze up while hanging out the washing and imagining myself in Provence...

      Delete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x