Monday, May 21, 2012

meal planning monday


Life's back to normal this week. I'm off the crutches and we'll get into the swing of normal meals again.

Monday: my daughter wanted to make home-made pizza yesterday, so I moved the roast dinner to tonight. Autumn calls for crispy-skinned roast chicken don't you think? And I'll have to make a potato bake as well. But don't worry, we're not going heavy on the cream, I have a sneaky version that tastes as good as the cream and cheese laden version - with way less fat. Here's the recipe.

Tuesday: I dug out a childhood fave recipe book the other day. I spent my teen years cooking from this, and when I found a copy in the Salvos one day I nearly screamed with joy. It's the Leggo's Italian Cookbook, circa 1970 complete with awesome illustrations. Those of you who follow me on Instagram would have seen a special shot. I heart it so. Tonight's a beef and capsicum pasta bake. Simply delicious. I'll serve it with a green salad.

Wednesday: I'm out to dinner with friends, so hubby and daughter shall fend for themselves. They're both steak fans so it'll be steak, chips and salad.

Thursday: I have a hankering for pork chops, served with lemon-roasted potatoes, green beans and apple sauce (I have many apples taking up space in my crisper - they shall become a quick apple sauce)

Friday: Prepare for an excited squeal to be inserted here as I'll be cooking paella in my $6 Aldi Paella Pan.  So excited. I've been waiting for these to come back in stock again and they finally have. I caught up with a friend for coffee the other day and she told me she'd just been to Aldi to buy a pan, but they weren't on display. So, tempting fate, I called in there later this night and saw the space for paella pan was empty. There was an Aldi dude stocking the shelves, so I thought I'd ask him if there were any paella pans out the back. And there were! I quickly applauded, then asked if he could grab me another for my friend. This week's my first attempt at paella. I'll give it a shot and post the recipe if it's a success. Check back on my recipe blog next week!

Saturday: it's a friend's birthday party tonight. An 80s, blue light disco themed party. Excited! It's retro-authentic with West Coast Coolers and everything. So I'd best prepare for this before leaving - there shall be pancetta macaroni cheese for dinner tonight. With a green salad.

Sunday: Roast night. I'll see what tickles my fancy at the farmer's markets. I'm thinking pork, or lamb shoulder. With plenty of roasted, seasonal vegies - and greens on the side.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm flying solo this week, so I'm having super easy meals here. Drumsticks and couscous, salad and fish, pasta. Nothing too taxing.

    The Bluelight Disco party sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are certainly back, baby! What a week you have lined up, some very interesting meals.
    I have tried paella but not in a fancy paella pan... just a humble frying pan. Must say, I'm a big fan of the stuff.
    And an 80's party, how fantastic... you totally had me at West Coast Coolers, haha. A friend of mine and I make a point of having a few of those on hand whenever we catch up for a BBQ. Classy!
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x