Wednesday, May 30, 2012

eye spy




A friend and I went to a new café the other day. It was fine, but it just lacked a bit of oomph. It was only recently opened, and they'd obviously spent a bit of money on the fit-out, but we both agreed it was just a bit too... sterile.

I've spent a bit of time thinking about it. Because obviously these people are passionate about their business and would like it to succeed, but I'm a bit worried that it's just not possible. You see, when it comes to a successful café it needs personality.

And I think I've worked out what it needs.

It needs to be instagramable. (Is that a word? Is now).

Ideally you should go into a space and be seized with inspiration. Your eyes need to alight on something interesting that fills you with delight. It can't be sterile - it has to offer something. Here's a few shots I've snapped off in other cafés recently. Each of them offers something that delights you, intrigues you and makes you feel you're somewhere worth being. 

See this shot above? It's at Bank Corner Espresso - the most FABULOUS Art Deco hole-in-the-wall café. It was FILLED with Instagram-worthy moments. I could have gone crazy. Actually, I did. And so did my friend. We loved it.




Here's another teeny tiny. The WoolStore at Maryville. Teeny. Two tables teeny. But fabulous. My friend and I both managed to snap an almost identical shot here - but look at it - gorgeous!


I love Frankie's Place. Seriously you could just wave your phone around at random snapping shots and they'd all be incredible. Great atmosphere, fabulous staff, cool menu. Love.



Here's Ground Up at Carrington. For a start it's housed in an old butchers so has the authentic tiles on the wall. Love. But there's much to look at here. And the coffee is divine. Oh, and crispy bacon? Totes drool-worthy.


Here we have Dark Horse Espresso. Love the dark painted walls, cushions, and vintage-style artwork. Heck, even that fan's worthy of a close-up.


And it's not just in Newy that has image-worthy places. Here's a gorgeous nook at the Maitland Art Gallery Café. Love it. You should have seen the piles of fabulous books to browse through. This bookworm's going to spend an afternoon there one day...


Here's a bit of coffee art from Conroy Bradley Pistol Club. Fab coffee, vintage spoons and saucers and a gorgeous table topped with a vintage map make for an Instagram-worthy café experience. Oh, and the barista may well be one of my faves - enthusiastic, great service and so very sweet.


So there you have it, my guide to starting a café. You might have great coffee and food, but you need to consider the ambience first. That's what makes people come in, order and linger. It doesn't have to be vintage (although that's obviously my fave style) it just needs to be atmospheric and interesting.

What do you think?

ps: that loveheart coffee is from Ground Up - bless.
pps: what some would arguably say is Newy's first 'proper' café, Goldbergs, totally subscribes to this theory. It has an amazing ambiance that's visible from the street. Showing why it's still as popular after years in trading and many owners (who were smart enough to go with the flow and not try to make it their own).
ppps: these are just a couple of fab places I've visited in the last month, a mere snippet of what's on offer. Newy coffee peeps - share some of your faves?

16 comments:

  1. Beyond great coffee, I agree that a cafe that engages all senses, including that of curiosity will always bring people back. A great assortment of cafes doing it well in Newcastle. Where are we going next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhere Instagram-worthy I 'spect. Oooh, Wickham Motorcycle Café perhaps? Although I'm still kicking myself I missed Tex the other day...

      Delete
  2. I haven't been to any of these places!! Need to get out of Hamilton more often, methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget Suspension too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suspension is ACE - I just didn't have any Instagram shots of it. So many fab places in this town!

      Delete
  4. Great post! Took Husband to Ground Up for breakfast this morning, sat in the window, enjoyed the sunshine on the wee park across the road and can also recommend the coffee, bacon and FABULOUS chutney!
    We're making the most of finding places to visit before he has to go back to work properly, thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ground Up may well be my fave - what a gorgeous place. Enjoy your time together, how lovely! x

      Delete
    2. Yep, Ground Up is our fave, too. Although I DO love Goldberg's. And Supsension. And Silver Spoon - I think that's what it's called - on Glebe Rd at The Junction. It's just a little out of 'town' in an old terrace and has a great feeling to it. I really miss Tongue and Groove at the Junction, tho. I want to try Longbench Second Fiddle in Hamilton (North?) - I pass it every morning on my way to work and never have time to stop - but, one day.......

      Delete
    3. Jane, this is sooooo spooky. I was just washing up and for some reason Tongue and Groove popped into my head. I remember that they were the first to bring foccacia to Newy - do you remember The Kevin? Ham and Cheese? Hilarious. Loved their courtyard with the robinias filled with fairy lights.

      I also love Silver Spoon, that terraced courtyard is divine.

      Longbench Second Fiddle is also on my list. So many places to try....

      Delete
  5. I like that... instagramable! Funnily enough, I kinda get what you mean by that too.
    Personality and cosiness is a must with any good cafe, totally know what you mean. I love ones with lots of retro prints or interesting paintings on the wall. Funky chairs and tables and of course, sparkling service. You should write a little handbook for people going into business, this is just the sort of stuff they need to know about their customers xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely. I am thinking of printing it out and sliding it under the door of the café I mentioned at the start... but worry that it'd seem rude.

      Business is tough, you've got to cover all bases to win don't you think? x

      Delete
  6. We love Sprocket, Suspension, Rolladoor, One Penny Black.... so many good coffee options in Newy right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! And Good Brother! We are spoiled, utterly spoiled for choice. Lucky us!

      Delete
  7. One Penny Black in the Hunter Mall, Estabar on Newcastle Beach - great staff, perfect coffee, and interesting surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Love One Penny Black - and Estabar's an old fave. Haven't been for a while, but there's nothing like sitting at the bar with a blood orange gelato and an espresso. MMMmmmm.

      Delete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x