Saturday, June 12, 2010

welcome weekend

Sleep-in: check. Leisurely coffee: check. Now, just have to wait for husband to awaken {he got up at 4am to watch a World Cup game} and get outside and garden. The sky's blue and there doesn't seem to be too much wind, so hopefully it'll be good gardening weather. We should fit in a chunk of work before going to afternoon tea and then we're picking up our niece so the gals can have a sleepover.

Oh, before I go, I must tell you about last night's dinner. The most tender scotch fillet steaks cooked meltingly medium rare, with a shallot and red wine jus and garlic mashed potatoes. But that's not the best bit - no, the best bit was that after I'd bought the steaks to room temperature I seasoned them with a little olive oil and then some thyme salt. Yep, thyme salt. I stripped the leaves off three sprigs of thyme and put them in the mortar and pestle with some pink murray river sea salt and ground till it became the most delicate green powder. I sprinkled it over the steaks, pushed it in and then cooked the steaks. Now, I'm not sure if they were just good steaks, or if this salt had special magical powers - but you could cut them with a butter knife they were so tender. Mmmmmm.

Tonight I've decided to attempt to make chicken schnitzel {yes, you read that right, I've never attempted it}. I'll make it with a similar crumbing to my panko/gremolata pork cutlets and serve it with chunky home-made chips and an iceberg lettuce. That cheese fondue on MasterChef last night has me feeling all retro... And as my niece is younger than my gal, and lactose intolerant, I reckon this'll be a child-pleasing meal that'll make everyone happy.

Enjoy your day x

8 comments:

  1. Okay you need to start adding warnings to your posts. You keep talkig about yummy food and then i get hungry. And envious because I really have very little to no cooking / baking ability.

    So just for me pretty please can you post yummy food ideas with avert your eyes now if you lack culinary skill?

    Okay I am askign way to much I know!

    Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy long weekend to you all!

    Loving the new look also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, I really wonder how come I never get tired of fondue? Ever since that faithful night at my best friend's birthday, I have fallen in love with fondue (she served meat fondue and chocolate fondue for dessert). Now, I have to say that I have collected quite a number of fondue recipes myself, lol! And I really love throwing fondue party now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lovely weekend so far. You've made me rather hungry though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry E - will give it my best shot in future.

    Welcome back Kellyansapansa!

    Thank you Belinda - hope you're enjoying the long weekend.

    Fondue Recipe - glad you've found a passion!

    Photo Puddle - it has been, and I hope you've sated your appetite with something yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry E - will give it my best shot in future.

    Welcome back Kellyansapansa!

    Thank you Belinda - hope you're enjoying the long weekend.

    Fondue Recipe - glad you've found a passion!

    Photo Puddle - it has been, and I hope you've sated your appetite with something yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x