Friday, June 18, 2010

somebody who?

A few months back I blogged about how I made myself snap out of my "I should" phase and move into "I will". I've worked out I've got another pet peeve - the phrases "people should..." or "somebody should..."

You're only responsible for your own actions. If you see a dangerous piece of footpath, rather than muttering "somebody should fix this..." then you call the council and start the action yourself. See rubbish on the beach? Pick it up and put it in a bin. Of course people shouldn't litter, and yes, things should be maintained so they're not dangerous, but stuff happens.

I think it's dangerous to be a "people should..." person. All the anger and bitterness builds up inside so that even when "someone does" do something, you're too busy tutting and about-timing to take the time and appreciate it.

I don't want to be a "somebody should" person - I want to be an "I'll do it" person. Much better non?

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I've always been one of the ones that speaks up about things (surprise!) and it bothers me that so many others don't. They really have the mentality that 'somebody' (ie, me and others like me) will sort stuff out for them. I can't stand the passiveness of it all.

    BTW, I added you to my blogroll because I keep forgetting to visit!! Thank you for supporting my newborn blog, I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too true - more of us should think that way. I know I do mostly - but still occasionally fall back into the 'someone should'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed Maxabella, the passivity is infuriating isn't it?

    And Kakka, I'm pretty sure that 99 per cent of the time you do - and the other one per cent is when you deserve a rest x

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x