Thursday, June 17, 2010

baked delight

As you have probably guessed, I'm a huge fan of cooking. There's nothing I like better than coming up with a delicious meal. What I'm particularly fond of is coming up with something creative. I can do this with savoury foods, but baked goods elude me. Probably because I don't have the background knowledge to help guide me. I have made pastry, but not often enough to be able to do so without a recipe. And there's no way I'd be game enough to experiment - it's just outside my comfort zone. So imagine my joy at finding someone who loves to experiment with baking. Now, first of all go here to see a creative baking genius at work.

Then, no matter where you live, make plans to come here to Newcastle and visit a few of the cafés clever enough to stock her creations {III Bean, Lotus and Suspension}. I had the sour cherry and pistachio tart today after my cassoulet at lunch {mmmm} and it was a revelation. The cassoulet was rich, sensuous and every mouthful was a delight - but I knew that if this tart was on offer I'd have to give it a go. I expected it to taste delicious but this went beyond delicious. It was the perfect balance of flavours and textures - and looked gorgeous. It's a very clever person who can balance flavours so well. I'm in love and think I may have to return for another bite tomorrow...

4 comments:

  1. Ah, I wish she'd been in Newcastle when I was growing up there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you were a former novacastrian Kerry. I'll bet the place has changed a lot since you grew up here {it did for me!}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, thank you so much for saying such flattering things about my tarts. Kerry but you have "Silo Bakery" I used to live in Canberra and that is what I miss most, and probably my biggest influence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PinkPatentMaryJanesJune 18, 2010 at 12:13 PM

    You're welcome Alice. I truly believe in giving praise when it's warranted and I love what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x