Saturday, March 31, 2012

put a bird on it


It took me yonks to *get* Twitter. I signed up, and then just sat back and watched it for a couple of months. I couldn't work out how to join in the conversation, what to say - or why to say it. But slowly, I worked it out. I dipped my toes into conversations, learned not to feel hurt if someone didn't respond {they're not ignoring you - the conversation's probably just moved on before your comment was noted} and learned to love it.

Now, I can't do without Twitter. I follow three bunches of people: bloggers, work-related contacts and Newy Tweeps. Oh, I love my Newy Tweeps. See, Newy Tweeps are a bunch of local tweeps who, between them, know just about everything there is to know about Newcastle. I started off following one person, trolled through her list and followed people she followed - then started following people whose conversation intrigued me.

Twitter's where I get all my news. I'd been discussing the winner of the Archibald Prize for two hours on Twitter before an email from the Art Gallery pinged in my in-box to tell me who'd won.

There are rules, and bits of etiquette. For example, my first call is to check my mentions to see who's responded to me, or tweeted me - and then I try to tweet them back. There's nothing sadder than feeling ignored on Twitter. I'm not fond of people who auto-post reams of tweets one after the other - it feels spammy and unless they offer something else of value, these are the people I tend to unfollow.

I love the parody accounts and ones set up purely for entertainment value. My favourite is a bus. Yes, a bus - the 100 Bus - a Newcastle institution. Last night I was involved in a chat with a bus, a goat, a pub and a midwife - how's that for bizarre. Actually, the pub's a good example of a business using twitter well to interact with the local community - it's all about engagement, not advertising.

If you're lucky you'll be like me and discover some fab friends that you have a ridiculous amount in common with. If not, well, enjoy just having fun.

Want to come say "hi" to me? I'm here.

17 comments:

  1. I'm the same PPMJ. I nearly wet my pants this morning reading tweets by 'coffee dad'. Ridiculous, I know!

    I really like you on Twitter too, such good value. Great post. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am loving you on Twitter too PTT - and am now off to follow Coffee Dad.

      Delete
  2. My fave is instagram! LOVE it!

    Still navigating twitter, but love the funny one liners some people manage to come up with!

    Instantly un follow anyone who sends auto spam when you follow them :)

    That's my only rule :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Cherie, I'm still a bit crap with Instagram - I'm more about the words than the images, but need to get onto it. x

      Delete
  3. Hi PPMJ, I seem to be having trouble replying to your blog, so I'm trying my luck again. Can't believe the relevance of your post this morning as Something Gorgeous has decided to dip its toe into Twitter land. Wish us luck! xT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's Blogger, I was having trouble in the early hours of the morning. Just followed you on Twitter - you seem to be doing just fine x

      Delete
  4. I've been the same - re: signed up to Twitter but not really sure how it all works. I've just started to try and get into it lately again but I'm still unsure as to how it all works. Please help!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Kim say "Hi" to me and we'll get you started. Honestly, once you start 'getting' it you will LOVE it.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you're on Twitter now. Except, I'd just given it up,lol. I can't tell you how many times I went to share a post of yours, to find you didn't have a twitter account!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh doll, I did - I've been on there for three years! It's just that I set it up with my real name as PPMJ wouldn't fit! x

      Delete
  6. I'm still trying to figure out how to get Twitter to float my boat. I'm getting there, but it's a bit of a love/hate thing for me! You definitely sounds like you have it sorted which is so good. And you're right, it's all about engagement xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridget I think it's also about choosing who to engage with. Some people are just so huge, and have so many conversations going that they just don't have time to tweet with everyone. I find that if I go with fave bloggers who comment here, plus those tweeps who are passionate about the same tv shows, food, music etc then engagement just happens. Timing helps as well, which must be tough for you. So lovely to hear from you, hope all's well in your world xx

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. No longer do you need to keep humming that Bros song...

      Delete
  8. hello there - twitter is still a small mystery to me .... mostly the # and bits and bobs - I'll go read the guide one day ... best le

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Linda
    I have a week off so I'm going to try and figure out Twitter once and for all. Is there a 'Twitter for Dummies' book? Incidentally, I joined Twitter right at the beginning when there were probably only a dozen or so people on it - Maggie Alderson and Stephen Fry were the only people I 'followed' - but I had no idea what it was all about then - and I still don't! Wish me luck!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS - So not techno - can't even get my profile picture to work......
    PPS - So, exactly how do I say 'hi' to you on Twitter?????

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x