Tuesday, May 17, 2011

i want to ride my bicycle

We went on a family bike ride on the weekend, 32 kilometres of the magnifent Fernleigh Track. This is an old rail line in Newcastle that's been re-created for bike riders and walkers, and oh, is it magnificent.

We must have been quite the sight: husband in his lycra and fancy road bike, daughter in her fancy hybrid and bike clothes, then me on my 'should-be-cycling-in-provence' cruiser with a basket. Oh, and then my mum and step-dad with our old rusty reject mountain bikes.

Despite being such a motley crew we had a blast, right down to the world's most enormous lunch at a cafe/takeaway in Redhead {yes, we may have been desperately asking everyone along the way - 'where's the nearest café?}

It's amazing what secrets your town can uncover, and what a lovely way to spend a weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day! I bet you had the most comfortable ride on your bike! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds great, what an amazing initiative to use an old railway route for biking. Is it close to the current railway station? Will see if google can help me... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how fun!! Those bikes are much more suited to a fun family ride anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Motley crews are the best kind of crews!

    And I love that town. :) x

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x