Friday, July 18, 2008

Margaret's doin' dinner

Tonight is a very special event. It's the first time I'm using a recipe from my new (old) and very, very spesh Margaret Fulton's Crockpot Cookbook. I'm making Coq au Vin - one of our faves, but I normally do it in the le crueset rather than the slow cooker. 

Because I'm kind, I'll share the recipe with you.
1.5kg chicken pieces (I'm using drumsticks and thighs, cause they're more moist)
3 rashers of bacon, diced
1/2 cup spring onions, diced (I'm using French Shallots)
4 small onions halved (as above)
250g small mushrooms, whole
1 clove garlic, crushed (I'll use three, we're immune to the stuff)
1 tsp salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
8 small new potatoes, scrubbed and halved
1 cup red wine
1 cup chicken stock
chopped parsley

In a large frypan sauté diced bacon and onion until the bacon fat is clear. Remove and drain on a paper towel. Add the chicken pieces to the pan and brown well on all sides. Remove the chicken when it has browned and set aside. Put the peeled, quartered onions (or whole french shallots), mushrooms and garlic in the crock-pot. Add the browned chicken pieces, bacon and spring onions, salt and pepper, thyme, potatoes, wine and chicken stock. Cover and set on low for 7 - 8 hours, or high 3-4 hours.
Serve garnished with plenty of chopped parsley.
Serves 4-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x