Wednesday, July 02, 2008

better off red

Because she spent the first five years of her life vegetarian, we've been slowly introducing Annabella to the world of meat, and now, I think we've turned a corner. Tonight, we were shopping when she said "Tomorrow, for dinner, can we have that beef in red wine you cook?" Yes, that would be an eight year old asking for a rich, beefy, wine-soaked stew. Now, kids and stews don't usually mix. Kids normally like their food readily identifiable and not invading the personal space of any other item on their plate. But my gal's obviously developing quite the palate. Wanna try her new fave meal?

Annabella's beef in red wine
1kg stewing meat (there was really cheap scotch fillet when I last made this, tomorrow, it's blade steak)
3 bulbs of garlic (I had fresh garlic from the markets that week, this week, it's just bulbs)
1 stick celery
1 carrot
2 onions
2 cups beef stock
6 strips of bacon
steak seasoning (was in a cheating frame of mind, but it worked, and I'm doing it again)
2 tblsp tomato past
2 cups of red wine
1 tin cherry tomatoes (my new lust)

Dice the meat into mega chunks. Finely dice everything else. Sear the meat to brown, specially the bacon, then throw absolutely everything into the slow cooker on low for six to eight hours. (Have I mentioned how I do so adore my slow cooker?)
Before serving I thickened with a paste made from a good tablespoon of cornflour mixed with water and threw some chopped flat leafed parsley leaves over the top. I served it with mash, cos I'm no fool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x