Thursday, May 30, 2013

when in paris


Next time we go overseas I want to visit Paris again. Surprise. It'll be my fourth visit, and there's still so much I want to see and do. I honestly feel like Paris is my spiritual home, I can never get enough of it. Just wandering around the streets, or having lunch in a café feeds my soul. If you're wondering about my must-dos for Paris, here they are {part one}:

• Catch a bateau bus on the Seine. These fabulous hop-on-hop-off boats are a great way to get around Paris via its most scenic route - the river Seine. There are stops at all the main places; the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Musee D'Orsay, The Louvre and it's a great way to enjoy a leisurely view from a different angle of Paris. You can buy a single day ticket and get off and on as often as you like. Parfait.

• Shop in the Galleries Lafeyette. It's just glorious, with a range of items - some normally priced, some astronomically. You can also have lunch upstairs with a rather fabulous view.

• Have lunch in the restaurant on level two of the Eiffel Tower.

• Visit the Louvre on the late opening nights (Wednesday or Fridays till 9.45pm). Want to see the Mona Lisa up close and without the crowds? Come late.

• Shop up a storm in the supermarket. Honestly, the bargains you can find in Monoprix supermarché will boggle your mind. From fabulous laguiole cutlery to gorgeous etched champagne glasses, there's no end to the divine homewares you'll find at crazy, ridiculously low prices. It's also the perfect place to stock up on champagne - at a price way cheaper than bottle shops. Clothing's also amazing. I bought a fabulous frock with a matching cardi on our last trip - and it's one of my faves.

• Watch a ballet or a performance in the Opera Garnier. Last time we went to the ballet and it was magical. Utterly magical.

• Wander the Marais. Here's another much-loved shopping spot. And I love the feel of The Marais. If I lived in Paris, this would be my arrondisment of choice. Hint: if you love something - buy two. Or three and ship them home.

• Eat a perfect macaron or pastry in one of the divine classic stores such as Laduree.

• Climb the Arc de Triomphe. We haven't done this yet - it's on the list for next time.

Fingers and toes crossed we'll be going again next June. Do you have anything to add?

2 comments:

  1. I have never made it to Paris. It's eating me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the beauty of a city like Paris, you are never finished with all the fabulous things to do and places to see. After 16 days there last year, I did sooo much, yet came away with a list of things I didn't get too...but good to have something for next time. Some of the things on your list I have not done, so cane add them too!
    Be prepared for a LOT of twisty stairs climbing the Arc de Triomphe, no elevator or lift to assist, but the view is great, especially as you get The Eiffel Tower in it!
    Excited for your trip!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x