Saturday, February 11, 2012

pantry essentials


We had flash flooding here yesterday afternoon. It was incredible. My daughter and her friend were on their way home from school on the bus and the sky looked a threatening shade of grey/green. I texted my gal to ask if she wanted me to pick her up from the bus stop and she said 'only if it's raining'. Two minutes later there was a crack of thunder, so I grabbed my keys and ran to the door.

By the time I reached the bus stop in the car two blocks later it started bucketing, and bucketing, and hailing! I couldn't see 30cm in front of me. Luckily the girls were waiting in the newsagent, nice and dry. By the time I picked them up and drove home I couldn't park the car - the roads had flooded knee deep with water and I couldn't park and open the doors, so we went to Coles and luckily the rains stopped.

But it got me worried as it rained heavily again in the night. I'm not ready for another flood {as if you're ever ready, but hear me out}. My pantry is bare. When we had the last flood I easily had enough food to last us for a week. This time, I'd be lucky to scrape up a meal. I need to do a real shop as I'm out of all the essentials: no cereal, no sugar, no flour, no pasta. I'm staple-free.

My gal loves baking, and I love that she can look up a recipe and whip up pretty much anything from the pantry. I always have a good array of baking ingredients. But now I'm out of caster sugar, out of vanilla paste and have no flour.

I need to get to the shops. Oh, and I also need a pretty piece of vintage lace to put up in my pantry window - prettiness!

9 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed that you escape flood free.....but there seems to be enough sunshine about to support your dash to stock up on supplies....I'm off to (drown) dance at a Rod Stewart concert at Pokolbin.....this means one thing......deluge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, have fun at Rod Stewart tonight - fingers and toes crossed the rain stays away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, that sounds pretty scary. Good luck grabbing some groceries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just had a cracker storm up here, but my cupboards have enough for a few days...vintage lace essential :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so cute PPMJ, I love that sense of organisation you have. I must admit, I always feel uneasy if we don't have reserves in the cupboards too though. Always nice to know there is enough there to whip up a couple of meals if I get sick or the kids get sick and we can't make it to the shops for a few days. That storm sounded very freaky, some strange weather patterns going on at the mo. Enjoy stocking up that pantry :o) xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I must have driven home just before and missed that one. Saturday also brought another sudden outburst. Where oh where is Summer this year?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't forget to stock up on candles & batteries too!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You definitely need the lace. That would be extra tasty in a flood. lol x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Living out of town I try to be pretty much essentials stocked most of the time.
    I think my main concern is how to entertain them when we're stuck on the farm for a couple of weeks. Last time we put them in their swimmers and played in the paddocks like swimming pools!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x