Friday, October 09, 2009

the ultimate meal?

Only a vegetarian could walk out of a screening of Julia and Julie without the most serious hankering for Boeuf Bourguignon. As you know, I'm no vegetarian, and I love rich, french meals.

I already have a fabulous recipe for the famous beef in red wine stew, but thought I'd try Julia's and although it's still an hour off, I think it's going to reward me. It's far more fiddly than my usual recipe, but that's what food cooked with love should be like. Taking the time to linger over each step {on a weekend preferably} means you develop a full appreciation for each ingredient.

I'm currently simmering eshalots in beef stock, flavoured with salt, pepper and a bouquet garni - after they've been browned and caramelised in butter and oil. After 50 minutes they'll be ready to add to my beef, bacon and red wine mix along with some sauteed mushrooms...

Sure, it'll take over four hours to cook - but it'll be a real mmmmmmmm-moment*. And considering that this week's been filled with mere, yeah, that'll fill the spot meals, I think we need one of those.

Oh, and in further cooking news, today I bought two rabbits from the butcher - chopped into eight pieces each and ready to make Lapin au Vin to take on our holiday. I believe it's going to be mighty chilly on our first night, so arriving with a le crueset full of casserole that only needs heating will be the nicest welcome.

* It was completely and utterly divine. The most delicious meal ever - I shall post the recipe tomorrow - and buy the book on the weekend!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like the perfect dinner on a wet Friday night. Enjoy! I am completely jealous of course...oh and have a fabulous holiday away - you will ne missed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh that sounds divine! You're a woman after my own heart! Anything rich and French is mighty fine with me! I'm eating at Vue de Monde in Melbourne next week and cannot wait!

    Have a fabulous holiday! x

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x