Friday, August 21, 2009

frugal friday - just do it

I've mentioned before that to be frugal requires just a tad of organisation. But the best thing about organisation is that once you've been doing it for a bit, it becomes second nature. Seriously, it takes me about 3 minutes to come up with a weekly menu plan these days.

My big frugal goal is to completely eradicate food waste. I loathe waste in any of its guises and plan on living like my grandparents did and using absolutely everything I can - food wise.

So last night we had a roast chicken dinner {it was a Lillydale Free Range ready-seasoned chicken, with onion and sage - and a jasmine rice stuffing and was the most moist, tender and delicious chicken we've ever eaten!}. Now, ordinarily when I cook a chook, I'll wrap the leftovers and pop them in the fridge, to pick off the next day for sandwiches. Fine, no food waste there... But see, then I have plans of using the bones for stock - and I never, ever do. Nope, I think about it, know that I SHOULD do it. And don't. Before I know it it's too late and the body goes in the bin.

However, the new and organised me picked off all the flesh last night, popped it in a container, shredded and ready to go for lunch {salad I think - I have baby cos in the crisper, mmmmm} and then I threw the carcass in a stock pot, chucked a halved onion that was in a container in the fridge in, threw a few cloves of garlic around it, covered it with water and left it to boil.

So now, in the fridge I have two litres of chicken stock. Granted, it's a very mild chicken stock, but it's still homemade and I'm feeling very virtuous and frugal that it's there.

From now on the word SHOULD is totally banned from my vocabulary. Like the multi-national corporation says, Just Do It.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, it's sooo good making your own stock! Isn't it! I *should* do it with lamb too - because I actually do debone lamb to make my lamb casseroles/curries etc.

    I make wonton soup with homemade chicken stock.... even if it is on the weak side you can spruce it up with some carrot, spring onion, ginger and garlic... xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, wonton soup! I think my daughter would love that. Do you have a recipe on your blog? If not I'll taste.co.au it! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't put it up yet - should do that!!

    In my wonton wrappers:

    1/4 cup water chestnuts-finely diced, 250 grams chicken mince, 250 grams pork mince, 1 clove garlic, minced, 1 spring onion finely diced, 1 tsp grated ginger, 2 tb oyster sauce..

    In your stock, 2 spring onion stalks and 1 baby bok choy, plus 2 tb soy sauce and 1 tsp sesame oil.

    That should do it! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x