Friday, August 21, 2009

coulda, shoulda, woulda



The word "should" is now officially banned from my vocabulary. Realistically it's only used when referring to something you don't really want to do. Therefore there are two choices: do it straight away {or set a time to do it} or decide not to do it at all.

I'm going to work out why I think I 'should' do it, and then decided whether or not I'm going to do it.

I'd hate to end up on my deathbed {presuming I have one to ponder in, that is} bemoaning all the things I'd like to have done, but didn't do because I was doing all the things I 'should' have done.

Nah, either I'm going to do them because I want to do them, or I'm not going to do them at all.

I'm going to spend my time catching up with friends I want to be with. I'm going to do tasks I enjoy doing - or that just need to be done. I'm going to be organised enough to enjoy the work I do. If I see something that needs to be done, I'm just going to do it.

Same goes with, "Oh, I shouldn't". Either it's "Yes please, that cake looks delicious, I'd love a slice." Or it's "No, thank you, I couldn't possibly eat another thing." Should and shouldn't are just cowardly words that place conditions on what we do and don't do - they're apologising for us having an opinion and doing what we really want to do. So that's it, they're dropped.

Instead of saying, "I should", I'm going to say "I will".

So today, I will go for a walk before picking up my daughter from school. I will finish and send off that article before 2pm. And I will have an utterly fabulous weekend!



1 comment:

  1. Love it! You are so right.

    I've been pondering, and I think I am already a bit of a "just do it" (and I didn't mean to quote the Nike slogan) type of girl already. I tend to race around and get all the things done that HAVE to be done to keep the house running, then move on to whatever I WANT to do. I don't necessarily mean that's a good thing (perhaps I should prioritise my passions over house work!?), but I don't often sit around talking about what I SHOULD do.

    But I'm taking your advice on board to try to embrace the things I love and banish the "shoulds" more!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x