Friday, August 15, 2008

real men do eat quiche

And gals like me cook them. My homemade quiche last night was a delicious success. I'm aiming to make something I've never made before, in a style radically different to my usual, every week. Here's how I made this one (from my fave Food of France cookbook)
Quiche Lorraine
Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
Pastry:
220g plain flour
pinch of salt
150g cold butter
1 egg yolk
2-3tbsp cold water
Sift flour and salt into a bowl, then dice up butter and rub the butter into the flour with your fingers till it resembles wet sand. Then add the egg yolk and water mixing into the dough with a palette knife (I used a butter knife) till it just starts to form a dough. Then mould it into a ball with your hands, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 mins. 
Remove from fridge, roll out and place in a tart tin (now, mine shrunk a fair bit, even though I stabbed the base with a knife, I'd have a few cms overhang next time) and line with baking paper and beans or baking beads. Refrigerate for 10 mins.
Bake in a preheated 200 degree oven for 10 minutes, then take out paper and beans and cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden. Turn oven down to 180 degrees

300g smoked, streaky bacon
50g butter
3 eggs
300ml double cream
salt, pepper and fresh nutmeg to taste

Melt butter in frypan and fry diced bacon for 10 minutes or until so crispy and delicious you're almost fainting with joy. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Mix together beaten eggs and cream before mixing in salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Sprinkle bacon over the base of the pie dish then pour the topping over top. Place in a 180 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until filling is set.
Remove from oven when it's golden brown and almost cry in delight (or is that just me?)

The best thing is that I had about 1/2 the dough leftover, because my dish is so small, so I'm making mini tarts to take to a friend's on the weekend! 1/2 quiche lorraine, 1/2 blue cheese and walnut. Oooooh yeah.

2 comments:

  1. My mother owns a restaurant here in the barren pioneer wasteland of the Midwest, and she makes four to five different kinds of quiches weekly. She seduced my stepfather (so he says) with their first home made dinner where she made quiche with gruyere, pancetta, and fried sage leaves. Wen I met my husband, % followed her lead and made him one with gorgonzola, walnuts, and arugula. Love at first bite for our boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I must say the little teeny quiches were a hit too - they went down very well with a few champers...

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x