Tuesday, April 28, 2009

frugal foodie

My menu plan's still going along swimmingly - yay. Today, after running alongside my daughter who rode to school, I came home and chopped up food for the slow-cooker. On the menu tonight is veal ragu {because veal steaks were super-reduced - cheaper than chuck steak!}. This recipe is based on a wild boar ragu Jamie Oliver cooked on his Italian Adventure. Using white wine gives it a milder flavour than the traditional red wine - I reckon that veal and white wine are perfectly married {I used chardonnay because there was a bottle in the fridge with a glass left in it. Yeah, I don't know how that happened either...}

Veal Ragu in the slow cooker:
600 grams of veal steak, diced
2 sticks celery, diced
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
4 cloves garlic, sliced
3 bay leaves
4 slices of bacon or pancetta, diced or cubed
700g passata
1 cup white wine

Throw all the meat and veg into your slow cooker and then brown bacon in a pan. Throw bacon on top of meat and veg, and deglaze the pan with the wine. Pour in passata and then wine over the top and give it a stir. Cover tightly with a sheet of baking paper, pop on the lid and cook on low for around 6 - 8 hours. Feel like the best cook ever.

Serve over strips of pasta topped with parmesan shavings. 

2 comments:

  1. Veal is sickeningly expensive here right now. :( I LOVE VEAL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've no idea why it was so cheap. After my veal cutlet out for dinner the other night I was hankering for veal!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x