Sunday, November 16, 2008

on ice

I don't know if it's my fridge, but I'm not good at freezing. No matter how well I wrap items, they seem to come out coated in ice crystals, freezer burnt, dried out and tasteless. Until recently, I've only had luck freezing vodka and limoncello (what's that you say about priorities?)

However, I know that a full fridge is an effectively running fridge, so short of stocking it with a range of flavoured vodkas (however tempting that may be...) I've found a few items that work for me freezer-wise. I keep rice in the freezer as I've found rice to be weavil's best friend. I can't abide larder moths, and have found since popping the flour into the freezer for a week, and storing my rice in there long-term, I've had nary a moth flutter in my face. I also store the grated cheese in the cold zone. I've found that pre-grated cheese tends to mould faster than the regular kind, but I don't use enough of it to justify using it before it turns a greenish hue. I'll also pop the ends of bread in the freezer in a big bag too, so they're nice and solid when I need to grate them for fresh breadcrumbs. I've also taken to storing the wrapping from butter in there, so when I need to grease a tin, I'll take it out and within a few minutes it'll be ready for spreading.

Oh, and there's always plenty of ice cubes in there of course... A vodka tonic needs a few cubes to clink against.

1 comment:

  1. Better have an extra vodka tonic or a gimlet just for me. I crave booze during this, ahem time period, I think it's one of the wierder cravings ever. I don't imbibe but I have found that fruit spritzers of some juice with some sparkling water or tonic or club soda does well. Also some gingerale helps diminish the craving too. So, today do I paint Eva's and my toes a burgundy that verges on grape or a bright cherry red?

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x