Tuesday, February 11, 2014

soooooo sleepy



Hi, how's things?

Couldn't you just climb into this bed and sleep for a couple of days? No? Just me?

I've had a surreal last few days. As I mentioned on Friday, on Thursday night I wrote a couple of Tweets to try to drum up support for SPC, farmers and the community that are at risk of closing.

And it exploded. Really, really exploded. In a good way.

Many of you know me, and know what's happened, but, if not, Google SPC Sunday - it got national news coverage. And, excitingly, it lead to a massive increase in sales for SPC Ardmona. We won't know for a few days, but there were reports of shelves being stripped of these Aussie-made and produced products.

The reach on Twitter alone was over 28 million by this morning. And that's not counting Facebook and Instagram - or the people who just chatted about it over the kitchen table or in the supermarket.

Let's hope it's a start and that the company can stay in Australia for at least another 85 years.

I also started a new job on Monday. And kept having to duck out for radio {and one television} interview. Goodness. It's looking like a fun gig though.

Anyway, I guess the point of this blog, aside from saying 'hi' is to encourage you to alway try to make a difference. From little things big things can grow.

I'm off to bed, sweet dreams x

French word of the day: peche - peach!

image housetohome.co.uk




18 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your huge SPC success and also on your new job, you rock! Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki, very chuffed and hoping it makes a difference. Now, bike routes to uni?

      Delete
    2. There is one that crosses the Adamstown rail crossing, then left to the sports stadium, then right, through Lambton park, cross croudace st, through jesmond park, then you're nearly there. It should take about an hour or a little more, but no parking hassles!

      Delete
    3. That's right to the sports stadium, then left ....

      Delete
  2. You're a peach!!! And an inspiration. What a grand time you are having, now go rest, sleep, and relax! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely, I did go to bed early. Trying to catch up on home emails today - eep!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your new role and your SPC success! TV and radio interviews will hopefully keep the spotlight in what you have started. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks E, the new job's fab, and there are very hopeful signs re: SPC. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry but I deleted previous comments because I was unaware of what this was all about. I then went back to a previous post of yours and I think I understand what it was all about but not sure.
    It is good you have stirred up some support for SPC Ardmona but I feel it is their parent body that should be boosting them up as they are the ones with all the money. I was upset when Heinz moved to NZ but with the high wages the unions have secured for workers in Australia I sadly feel that many more businesses will fail. It is great to be well paid and have lots of nice things but it can work against people in the long run with the loss of jobs.
    Congratulations on your new job and I hope you really enjoy all it entails and use this coming weekend to get some well deserved rest. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mimsie, the parent company is boosting them - to the tune of nearly $100 million. But to help keep farming in Australia we need to buy Australian products. The grant was actually to help them with exporting and to upgrade the plant to boost their production - also helping the economy.

      Most workers at SPC actually earn less than the average wage - apparently their average wage is $50 000, and the average Australian wage is $75 000. The Managing Director also came out and refuted the claims of overly-generous wages and benefits. They've been cutting down.

      There are many issues here, but if we can do our bit to help by buying Aussie-made why not? I don't want to live in a country without farming.

      Delete
    2. We try to buy Australian as much as possible and I don't buy Woolworths (or Coles) home brands if I can avoid doing so as one can never be sure where they actually originate. I am so glad that SPC Ardmona will remain here and can only hope it will be for many years to come.
      I did hear that many of the growers that were part of the company sold their share to the now parent company so perhaps some of the blame should be placed at their doors. I am never sure if one should always believe what one hears in the news so not sure if that is correct or not.

      Delete
    3. thanks Mimsie, I know that over the years the growers and workers have done everything in their power to keep the company operating in Australia. Sounds like they're fighting pretty hard, so glad they're staying here.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your SPC success and I'm thrilled to hear the new job is going well. I'm on the hunt now too, hope I'm as lucky as you in what I find ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you. I must say, life at the uni so far is pretty peachy - nice people to work for/with x

      Delete
  8. Wow, that's amazing, L. The power of socmed hits home once again. x

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x