Thursday, January 02, 2014

whip it good


My gal requested a Blue Velvet cake for her birthday on Monday. It's like a Red Velvet cake, but with blue food colouring instead of the red. I used Nigella's recipe for Red Velvet, and, oh my, it was as delicious as you'd expect. Here it is {complete with wee French sugar teddy bears!}.


And here's the interior. It's more green than blue because of the cocoa, but nobody cared. It was delicious! One thing I discovered was this. I googled a recipe for Buttercream Frosting, which suggested whipping the butter on its own, for around three minutes, until it's white and fluffy. THEN you add the icing sugar a little at a time. Hello - revelation! This is the best icing I've ever made. Normally the icing sugar doesn't integrate very well, and the mix often splits before it's dissolved. This was light, fluffy and delicious {and very blue!}. Happy days.

We had three very content gals; the 14-year-old and her two cousins.

French Word of the Day: glaçage {gla sahj} - icing!

6 comments:

  1. My frosting recipe always says beat the butter first, makes it creamier :) The cake looks amazing, glad Miss 14 had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of it before - despite YEARS of baking. And yes, she had an awesome day and the past few days with the English cousins. They've gone home now so she'll sleep till afternoon I'll bet!

      Delete
  2. Looks awesome Linda - you're a good Mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your gorgeous daughter, awesome looking cake. Happy New Year to you as well, haven't been around on the blogosphere much of late, will try and do better in 2014. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kakka, it's lovely to hear from you again. Hope all's well with you xx

      Delete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x