Tuesday, July 21, 2009

time-saving tuesday

Even though I work from home, I still like to be a bit stepfordy around the home, so I'm always looking at ways to trim time from my tasks. And I thought I might start sharing the love. Sometimes the simplest things evade our notice. I know that I used to think that menu-planning was for weirdos with too much time on their hands and a lack of creativity. Now, I see it as quite possibly the best invention ever {yep, topping the wheel, fire, iMacs, television...}

So that's number one on my list: here's number two. I remember years ago going to a friend's house who had three kids under five and being amazed when I noticed her washing line. She had a fabulous old silver hills hoist and on three of the quarters were hung particular items of clothing - each child had a section completely dedicated them. I quickly wrote that off as far-too-much-trouble. However, lately, in an effort to stem my moving various piles of washing from one flat surface to another - but rarely the correct surface {which would be inside the proper drawer or on the correct hanger} I decided to take in the washing in a certain order: my gal's clothes, my clothes and hubby's clothes: and a certain manner according to drawer or wardrobe space {socks and underwear, tops, pants, etc}.

Now, this sounds insane, however, it means that because I fold when I take it off the line, I have to merely take the basket into my daughter's room and then our room, and remove the clothing straight into the correct spot. A little bit of time out in the sunshine of the backyard spent sorting, means less time putting away {my most-loathed of task}. And I reckon I'm getting a wee bit of incidental exercise with that moving around {however, if I had a lovely spinning Hills Hoist I'd just have to spin it - easy-peasy}.

So now, it's 4.43pm and all the clothes from our holiday are washed and packed away - not sitting in teetering piles all over the house. This takes me to a happy place!

4 comments:

  1. Hehehe, I thought I was the only one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already do this, I always though I was just OCD.

    I even put socks etc up on the line in paairs etc so that saves time in the long run.

    I have been known to rearrange the way my hubby has put the clothes up because it's not grouped correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been ridiculously particular in my hanging of clothing {inside out so they don't fade, clothing hung with pegs under the armpits - so you don't see any peg marks - with matching pegs that coordinate with clothes...that's just for aesthetics...} Nice to see others share some of those quirks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh new crazy hints and tips - love it! I too thought I was the only one that matches pegs to clothes (it just looks better) and socks together (of course!) and also puts each person's clothes together. I will also admit that I, just on the weekend, re-hung out the way my husband had hung out the clothes - BUT in my defence how will they ever dry when they are all clumped together with just one unmatched peg in the middle?!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x