Thursday, July 16, 2009

frugal friday {well, nearly}

I can't skip frugal friday - and I'll be too busy to post in the morning. So here goes. This week was all about budgets. Going through, trimming, skimming, plotting and planning. We've got a date to pay off debt, and I'm going to do whatever it takes to get there.

When we were at Uni I remember having only a few dollars till the next payday - and making do. We ate well, went out and saw bands, dressed okay {still in op-shop clothes mind - some things never change} and I think it's time to re-embrace that attitude.

We might be headed off for a four-day weekend, but I've packed plenty of stuff to take with us. There's snacks to eat on the way, bottles of water filled from our purifier, soup for lunch on arrival and we're even taking our coffee machine with us to save buying takeaway {yes, big benchtop coffee machine, five people, luggage for four days, Holden Astra...}

Making frugal fun!

6 comments:

  1. Have fun on your trip!

    I am on a frugal bender too - I have a shopping list for summer that is very specific but I am not buying until December 1. No buying lunches, staying in to drink wine and sing songs with friends instead of going out, doing date night on a Tuesday to get cheap food and movies. I am trying to make it fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how little you got by on as a student? I remember when fiance and I were still teenagers, living off Centrelink. We had $70 for shopping for the fornight and our electricity bill was only $70 for three months. Rent was $110 a week, and we didn't have a car so we caught the bus everywhere. We often marvel at how little we used to get by on, and how much we spend now!

    Good luck with reaching your debt free due date, debt sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. being frugal IS fun! we always pack things & take a thermos, I don't like buying "just because".
    hope you have a fun time away..please take a photo of the coffee machine in action...would love to see it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great time to buy Yuan.

    It just is.

    (Thought I'd mention it. You never know when you might have to go and make a "special payment" to certain officials)

    A Grey Area: Guiding you through the tricky patches of international diplomacy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the more money we have, the more ways we find to spend it. It's amazing how much we can cut back if we just stay away from the mall, I find.

    Have a rockin' time PPMJ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We always pack snacks for trips too. Bringing your own coffee pot? My ma even brings her own coffee beans!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x