Tuesday, April 01, 2014

confessions of a book lover



You know what I love? Books.

I've been an avid reader as far back as my memory takes me {which, to be honest, isn't a long way…} I've always been surrounded by books, but, as this pic shows - there's no particular order to my shelves…


Take a closer look. I'm lucky to have books by the same author next to each other. Some of the Harry Potter series are here on this shelf, the rest? Probably on another shelf in another room… I'm a librarian's nightmare, not to mention those people who alphabetise or order by colour...

So, for a booklover, what's the ideal event on a literary calendar? Yep, a writer's festival! The Newcastle Writers Festival in fact. I *think* I have my weekend planned out. I'm starting with the opening on Friday night featuring Wendy Harmer, who I've adored ever since her The Big Gig days.

The Saturday's going to be tricky, as it's my teams first netball game of the season. Our first game's at 9am, so I should be able to coach the team, race over to City Hall to check out Rough and Tumblr at 10am and then get back for my daughter's game at 12. I have a break before Vogue and Beyond at 2.30 at Reserve Bar (we get champagne with this session darling). Then I'll duck down to Newcastle Art Gallery for a book launch before going home to freshen up in time for Dear Diary at 8pm at The Edwards.

Sunday will start at 10am with She: True Stories, followed by ABC Open Reading at 11.15. Then I have a quick lunch break before Radical Newcastle at 1.30. Then it's my session, I Blog Therefore I Am at 2:45. {Goodness, best not forget that one!} After all that it's home for a wee rest I think.

What a chockers weekend. But gee, I can't wait. I always walk out inspired by weekends such as these. The creativity and generosity of the panellists is always overwhelming. Hey, if I see you there, please say hello!

11 comments:

  1. I am planning to be at the two blogging sessions and will say hi when I see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my friend organises her books by spine colour! A rainbow effect on the bookshelf and she says it makes it really easy to find as you just look in the appropriate coloured section. Food for thought.

    N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My concern is books that don't just feature one colour - WHERE DO THEY GO?

      Delete
  3. I love books as well. I also have a daughter who has just recently discovered her love for books and her collection grows all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh, isn't it wonderful when our littles discover books?

      Delete
  4. I have been reading or being read to since I was a tiny tot and have never lost the love of books. Trying to downsize I've had to get rid of lots of novels but still have far too many if we should ever have to move. I usually put my books by size and then decide perhaps by author and then Phil or I take one out and it gets put back in a different place (particularly by him) so I guess my bookshelves are also a bit of a nighmare.
    You are set for a very busy weekend and I can imagine you enjoying every moment of it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mimsie, mine are, if anything, based on size. (ish). So far the weekend's fabulous, and yes, am relishing it x

      Delete
  5. ooh that sounds like a fabulous weekend!
    all the best with your panel on sunday!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS! And thank you, and prepping to head out shortly x

      Delete
  6. I hope you had a great weekend. I would have loved to have been there, but it couldn't happen for me this year. I'm itching to get my books unpacked and out on bookshelves again once our house is built :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x