Monday, October 08, 2012

meal planning monday



Sadly, the parquet top on our 1870s French farmhouse dining table doesn't see the light too often. It's usually covered in an oilcloth tablecloth we bought in Provence - to stop the cat scratching the surface {um, yes, it's one of his fave vantage points - and yes, we wipe down the table before eating!}. So I thought I'd share its prettiness with you today. It's back to school this week, so back into the old routine. Here's what we're eating this week:

Monday: I cooked pulled pork yesterday. I bought a pork shoulder from the Farmer's Markets, rubbed it with brown sugar, dried thyme, salt and pepper and then slowly roasted it for five hours. We had pulled pork sliders last night, and there's enough leftover for tonight to have a pulled pork salad. I'll slice up some apples and radish in the salad - pulled pork needs crunchiness.

Tuesday: I'm off to burlesque tonight, so we'll have mexican for dinner. Chicken and avocado burritos perhaps.

Wednesday: I bought some fabulous Angus steak at the markets, we'll have a bbq and I'll grill them up and serve them with a salad. I finally found blood oranges on the weekend - so spinach and blood orange salad it is. Wow - iron-rich meal or what?

Thursday: I haven't made salmon patties for a while, and this recipe always has leftovers for lunch the next day. We'll have them with a salad.

Friday: Now I think my gal starts indoor netball tonight - so we'll just have a simple dinner of chicken kebabs, rice and salad at the ready.

Saturday: OMGOMGOMGOMG - tonight is the night for the Underground Epicureans' meal. No idea what I'm eating - but I just know it'll be sensational. Full report to follow - or check me out on Instagram...

Sunday: Roast chicken, salad and a warm lentil salad. Yes. That'll do.

You?

7 comments:

  1. yummers!!
    seriously drooling over that pulled pork!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you always have beautiful flowers on your table. I started doing this but soon after lost enough vision to lose my license, and I've not done it since.

    Must start again. Such a fast way to make your home feel happier.

    I have a pork shoulder that's been sitting in my freezer for a month. I've not been able to work out what to do with it. I'm actually not such a fan of pork (and I HATE crackling, have never understood the appeal), but your idea sound wonderful. Is it terrible to ask for amounts of sugar/etc? Do you brown it first, or just put it straight in the oven? How hot?

    Sorry for the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, your house looks fab -perfect for a Francophile.
    My menu week:
    Monday: honey-soy quail breasts with noodle stir-fry
    Tues: arrabiata pasta
    Wed: grilled coconut/curry chicken
    Thurs: pasta leftovers
    Fri: grilled salmon
    PS can't wait to hear about the white rabbit adventure

    ReplyDelete
  4. That table top is fabulous....a shame to cover it up. Our cat shares the breakfast table with MOH every morning. Has to have ber biscuits in a bowl and be stroked while he has his morning coffee. We seldom eat at that table but it gets frequent cleaning.
    Your menu as per usual is out of this world. What a wonderfully clever cook you are. Although we are not allowed to eat a lot of the dishes you prepare I still feel a tinge of envy when I see the list each week. I know you must enjoy the preparation as much as those that share the meal. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual a wonderfully tempting menu, I do sometimes envy your love of cooking. I loathe to cook and hate the clean up of dishes afterwards even more. I think in a past life I must have had servants, or I was a cook or servant - lol.

    Enjoy your week PPMJ xxx

    Oh and PS - Love the table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait til I can actually reply properly. I've been told the oven will be fixed on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will try that pork recipe . Sounds delish . G x

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x