Monday, June 11, 2012

meal planning monday


Well hello, here we go, off on another round of meal planning to get through the week. It's well and truly wintery here, so the meal plan's going to reflect that. Ready? Let's go.

Monday: I called for husband and daughter's input on meals this week. Before I'd even finished my sentence my husband said "Cassoulet" seconded by my gal. So cassoulet it is. What a nice way to finish a long weekend. Mine's the quick version, not Anthony Bourdain's three day number. But it's tasty. Here's the recipe.

Tuesday: I'm terrible at using frozen meat. I'll throw it in the freezer the day before its due date and then wonder what I can do with it. I have some chicken mince I bought at a two-for-one special, so I need to use it. I'll defrost it in the morning and then make a dish with it tonight. I'll follow something I saw Jamie Oliver make once. I'll cook up some noodles in boiling salted water and while this is happening I'll sauté the chicken mince in a dry pan until it's super-brown and caramelised. Then I'll add some garlic, red chilli, finely diced onion and some fresh thai basil (I'm growing it and have loads! But normal basil would work just as well). Then I'll squeeze over lots of lemon juice. I'll drain the pasta, saving a little water to create a sauce. I'll add the pasta to the chicken mixture and toss. Finally, I'll add lots of fresh parmesan. Early dinner tonight as I'm off to see a French film - Le Chef at a Films for Foodies night at the Tower Cinemas - awesome!

Wednesday: I'm off to Sydney for a work meeting, so I'll buy the fixings for home-made pizza for my gal and hubby to make.

Thursday: I think it's time for some pork cutlets with apple slaw. I cheat with this. I buy a 'gourmet coleslaw mix' (one that has red cabbage in it) and then I'll slice apples into cheeks and slice them thinly. Then I'll roughly chop some whole almonds. I combine all this and add some mayonaise with lots of lemon and garlic added. So good.

Friday: Hubby's going out with some buddies to the pub, I'll make a garlic prawn fettucine. You know what? I finally succumbed recently and bought frozen green prawns. Nigella uses them so they must be okay, and you know what? They are. I'll simply add them to a pan with some olive oil, lots of garlic and cook till they change colour. Then I'll throw in some fresh breadcrumbs and fry till golden, add a sloosh of white wine and toss through pasta. Throw on some chopped italian parsley at the last minute.

Saturday: chicken kebabs tonight. Something easy. Served with a really super-simple salad.

Sunday: pork belly roasted on a bed of rhubarb. So simple. Score the top of the pork belly and rub with olive oil and salt. Season the underside with salt and pepper. Place a bed of rhubarb the exact size of the belly in a pan. Add some thyme sprigs. Place the pork over the rhubarb. Add to a smoking hot oven - 220 degrees and immediately turn the heat down to 150 degrees. Cook slowly for three hours. Serve to rapturous applause with lots of roasted vegies. That rhubarb will become a caramelised delight - far superior to any apple sauce you've ever served with pork. No rhubarb? Use apples or pears. Go on - you will NEVER regret it.


11 comments:

  1. Yum, yum, yum! I think my kids would rather eat at your house! For the first time in ages I'm actually planning my week's meals, hooray! Thanks for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Always happy to see another convert. Honestly, once you get into the habit you'll wonder why you took so long. Have fun x

      Delete
  2. After reading your mouth watering weekly meals, I have finally meal planned this week.
    Mwah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. PPMJ you're such a constant source of inspiration in the meal-planning department.I'm very impressed with your choices ....I have never been one to plan a weeks' meal in advance but you're gradually converting me to the benefits of being organised.I make my living as a cook and have done for 35 years, and I can't believe I have never thought to do use this strategy at home....when I certainly always have in my culinary career. Keep up the great work !!! (Beth's ma)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow Susan, thank you. That means so much to me. So lovely to hear from you xx

      Delete
  4. As usual sounds wonderful. I'm now starting to think "meals" when I go shopping. I think I'm saving money. No extra ingredients that go to waste in the fridge. Thanks. G.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's that time again and I've loved reading your plan for the week PPMJ. I wish I had the know-how to create beauties like these with a bit of this and a bit of that. I think Tuesday's meal sounds absolutely delicious... in fact I'll be borrowing this one to try out for the fam. Thanks PPMJ xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you lovely. I do enjoy creating stuff - if you put similar elements together they normally work out. Good luck xx

      Delete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x