Monday, April 23, 2012

meal planning monday


School holidays are OVA. Oh yeah. I love my gal, but let me tell you how nice is it for life to return to normal. It's very nice indeed. So to celebrate, here's my week of meals that say "Hurrah - school's in".

Monday: there is chilli con carne bubbling away in a le creuset pot on my stove. After four hours of cooking it will be served with rice, guacamole and corn on the cob. Hello.

Tuesday: Late ballet night tonight. I'll make salmon patties with a salad for dinner.

Wednesday: Anzac Day. I was Thrifty McStingy Pants shopping this week and it was two packs of mince for $12. As I'm in savings mode I bought two, and shall make a meatloaf for dinner tonight. With homemade onion gravy and champ (mashed potatoes with sliced green onions).

Thursday: I'm down to sydney for a meeting. As it's in the city I'm braving the train (lovingly known by locals as the Shitkansen). I will have my laptop which will hopefully distract me from everything except my fave Brooklyn view. For dinner? Hubby and daughter can make me some home-made pizza.

Friday: I'm off to a gallery opening. Before that I'll make up some simple ham and cheese omelettes. I love these. Simple, delish and crazy cheap. Perfect light supper when served with a salad.

Saturday: I'm out tonight (again, I know, dirty stop-out that I am) with some dear ol' uni friends. Hubby and the gal are off to hubby's parents for dinner. I shall be dining at the Yacht Club - I'm posh that way.

Sunday: I bought some corned beef. I've never cooked it before, but shall pop it in the slow cooker with herbs, onion, carrot, bayleaves, peppercorn, malt vinegar and water and cook it on low. I have a jungle of flat leaf parsley in the vegie garden. I should make some kind of white sauce with parsley to serve with it shouldn't I? And lotsa yummy veg?

So, what's on your plan for this week? Yummy stuff?

19 comments:

  1. Daisy isn't back to School until THURSDAY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh doll, that's just cruel! I'm guessing it's the combo pupil-free day monday and Anzac Day wednesday thing. Hope your champers is taking off the edge x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to school being back..lov the little darlings but ...lov em more when they are not home all day everyday. I also lov silverside in the slow cooker, I throw the veges in too after a couple of hours...yumm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, vegies in WITH the beef you say - I like your thinking (especially as it involves less washing up! x

      Delete
  4. To your corned beef try adding a dessertspoon of dry mustard, 5 cloves and i clove of garlic. I've never used peppercorns, but will try next time. G.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, sounds good. I'll have to buy some dry mustard - sounds like a good addition to my pantry. Thanks x

      Delete
  5. Can vouch for the corned beef in the slow cooker...it's a family fave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you believe that I've never cooked corned beef before? How does that happen?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of corned beef in the slow cooker - it's on my agenda now. I ordered a bulk pack of 'beef' from Organic Feast (heavily reduced) so hopefully there'll be something I can adapt - I've no idea what will be in it - love a surprise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, what's this Organic Feast of which you speak? I must find it.

      Delete
    2. Happy to enlighten you!
      Julia used to own Lavendula which is now Hunter Organics in Merewether. She moved out to Maitland and opened Organic Feast - she also has a stall at the Newcastle Growers Market at the showground. HOWEVER, I'm a bit busy (lazy) so I order through their lovely website and they very kindly deliver. I really do like to choose my own produce, but I can honestly say that I've never had a thing from Julie (and her son Brent) that I wouldn't have chosen for myself. It's all fresh, in season, organic - lots of it locally grown - and reasonably priced, (given that you pay a bit more for organic). Having said that, I never have to discard anything, so there's no waste and there's always plenty of specials. Julia is such an accommodating lady - and I still miss her at Merewether - and she always comes good with a lovely ham and turkey at Xmas; she stocks lovely gluten-free bread; and wonderfully big fresh eggs.
      Easy as!

      Delete
  8. You are a one stop shop for excellent meals PPMJ! Just how do you keep the variety coming like this? Awesome! Love the Thrifty McStingy pants, haha, I think that says a lot about me, as I end up buying about 2 or 3 packets of mince per week! Just so many ways with it.
    Lovely to have a couple of nights out this week, have a wonderful time xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you - and here I was thinking things were a tad on the boring side this week... I get bored VERY easily. I need variety. Thanks for your loveliness dropping by and brightening up my day x

      Delete
  9. aren't you a busy bee this week! i'll definitely be trying that chilli con carne next week :D
    thanks so much for sharing lovely lady!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was v good Nicole. So good that I'm having it for lunch on toast today - yummo!

      Delete
  10. I need a new slow cooker. Mine died a good year ago, and I haven't replaced it. But winter's comin....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, Melissa, buy the new one that has the removable insert that you can use for browning your meat. I can't seem to find a link - but I also like this one: http://www.breville.com.au/media/mediaappearance/11571/BPR200_IB.pdf slow cooker and pressure cooker in one!

      Delete
  11. Slow cooked corned beef with white parsley sauce is heaven! DOn't forget the steamed potatoes..I also love that Brooklyn view, especially in the rain. Making me homesick!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x