Thursday, September 04, 2008

vegging out

It's kind of ironic that I was a vegetarian for 20 years and yet am a bit daft when it comes to vegetables. See, I've always been a bit of a one-pot-cook and side dishes have always left me a little bemused. But I'm trying to improve. Tomorrow night I'm going to be adventurous and try a vegie I've never cooked before. I'm not sure what, or how, but I will. 

I'm doing a roast beef, and I'm going to give it a lovely massage with olive oil, garlic, lemon zest and Italian parsley before wrapping it in proscuitto and baking it. I'll roast some cubes of potato, pumpkin and beetroot in duck fat to serve alongside, but I want something else... Ideas? We're just coming into spring in Australia, so I'd like something light-ish and maybe green-ish. I do also intend on starting a jus around lunchtime. I'm going to buy a really robust red and reduce it till it's a sticky syrup (oh, no, mouth watering... must go grab a glass of water)

2 comments:

  1. Salad with fennel and arugula and a sherry vinaigrette could be a nice counterpoint. Side dishes bemuse me too, so any extra veggies or whatever I make for the side of anydish- I make sure it takes maybe no longer than ten minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, good girl. I've never really done anything with fennel and that sounds good!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x