Sunday, May 17, 2015

my bambino


I've always been a 'car person'. Growing up, my dad owned a secondhand car dealership so he was always driving home the sweetest car on the lot. I remember an e-type jag, a 1955 Lincoln Continental Limo and a Mustang as some of the standouts.

His love for vintage cars was passed on to me.

Then my mum married my step-dad who's also a vintage car lover.

I had no hope.

When I met my now-husband he owned a 1961 British Racing Green Morris Minor while I had recently bought a 1964 Vauxhall Kresta. We sold the Kresta (sob - she was grey and white with a red leather interior) as we only needed the one-car for a few years that we lived in Sydney. When I fell pregnant we decided we were best to invest in a car with seat belts, so sadly said bye bye to the Morris. But my love for cute cars didn't abide just because I needed to be sensible for a few years.

I remember when my step-dad told me he'd owned a Fiat Bambino and I was so jealous. These cars are just the cutest thing ever - and instantly transport me back to Italy. So a few years ago when Fiat introduced their 500 range - an updated version of the Bambino - I fell in love.

This week I consummated that love and bought myself a red Fiat 500 pop. Oh, she's a beauty. I take ownership this week (probably with a number of squeals of delight). Hubby's happy as he gets my car - a very well-cared-for four year old.

Daughter's delighted as she'll be learning to drive in this at the end of the year (eep!).

Vroom, vroom!

Photo by arleneantoinettegibbs

2 comments:

  1. I a not a car person and am happy if ours gets us from A to B but I understand there are some cars that get you...right there. Phil bought a green Morris Minor 850 years ago and the grandchildren loved to ride in it. My son also bought himself a Mustang in about 1999 (converted to right hand drive) but whether he still has it I don't know.
    My dad's first car in Perth was a 1939 Fiat 8 tourer and it was a real little goer.
    I can fell your enjoyment over your new car and wonder which one your daughter will be allowed to drive when she gets her licence?

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x