Sunday, December 28, 2014

colour my world


Pretty colours make the world a better place don't you think? When I was in Portobello Road earlier this year I couldn't help but exclaim in delight at the pretty rows of colourful homes. Imagine these pretties when the wisteria's out in flower!

I know house colours are cyclical, and fashionable, so I can't wait till pastels are back in style again. I do love a pretty colour with a crisp white accompaniment. (disclaimer: yes, my house is pale grey - with a white trim - but it's been so for over 15 years now and it suits it so!)

In Newcastle I was growing increasingly despondent at the number of dark, prison-grey buildings that were popping up - usually without an accessorising white (sometimes JUST the dark grey, othertimes a slightly lighter grey) or beige. Blahful beige. Not soothing beige, just meh.

So imagine my delight yesterday when I saw this glorious building painted up in the prettiest blue!


Even against a grey sky it looks so glorious. (And yes, that's a free ad for you local real estate agent - I have no energy for cropping this iphone shot).

Isn't it lovely to see the heritage features picked out? Imagine if all our beautiful buildings were painted with such thought.

Now, when I shared this on Instagram one of my friends (who happens to have started the Lost Newcastle page) told me this used to be the Blue Peter Hotel. So it's a pretty colour WITH a nod to history. Even BETTER!

Thank you owner of this building - can others in Newcastle please follow your lead?

2 comments:

  1. I agree that colour in our lives is important and speaking of which a service station which had lain idle for years and then removed leaving a horrible weed strewn vacant block has been built on. In its place there are units and do you know the top portion of each one is painted a different colour. It reminded me of pictures you showed when you were in France where that is quite commmonplace. I must admit they do look rather pretty and I can't wait till the whole complex is finished. Perhaps a photo on my blog to show how they look.
    I think that building you have shown looks very stylish and I love the colour.
    Wishing you and yours a very happy and healthy New Year. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds lovely - I'd love to see it!

      Best wishes to you and your family for the new year too xx

      Delete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x