Tuesday, March 23, 2010

hedging our bets


What a difference a year makes. See that top photo? That was our lilly pillies not long after we'd planted them last February. See the bottom one? That's them now. Check out the growth. They've filled out to form a dense hedge and they're getting close to the top of the fence - all 2.4 metres of it! We're hoping they'll grow to around 4 metres, obscuring the house that's on the hill behind us. It's such lovely, lush growth on these lilly pillies. We have had issues with psyllids, but if you keep the water and the fertiliser up then they seem less affected. When we've been slack with the watering we've had to spray the new growth with Defender - but it seems to have calmed down now.

If you ever need a lush screening then this is a fabulous hedge. Interestingly, neighbours around the corner planted the small leafed form Goodbye Neighbours and they've had very little growth in a longer period. This form is lush, deep green and has the prettiest little pink berries {yes, of course one of the reasons I bought it!}. If you're interested, I'll find out the botanical name and let you know what it is. Just give me a yell. Okay, off to move the hose again after giving these beauties a deep soak!

10 comments:

  1. One of the types of lily pilli's you can eat their berries :) we did it at uni (in class!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love lilly pilly berries - my grandparents had a massive tree in their garden. I love how they look like fuschia cherries, but have that incredible texture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great growth for a year? What fertiliser do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just dynamic lifter Dar. And a bit of blood and bone. Stinky - but all of them effective!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lady I stayed away from your blog because I *thought* you were working. I come and have a little look and 2 posts!

    But excellent posts nonetheless. Garden looks great. I am ALL about gardens at the moment because mine at the moment is being attacked by 4 men and looks like a disaster zone!

    Quick question - what is the grey colour called. It is the EXACT thing I want for painting the back brick wall at our place. Details please...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I DID work Beth - truly. I just had a few breaks via my blog...

    I think the pain is Dulux charcoal - double strength. Will ask my husband who actually had a memory about these things. I know we went through a bucketload of samples before finding a dark grey that didn't look dark blue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow they have grown fast, might put some of them in at our place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They do Kakka - I wouldn't believe the growth if I didn't have this pictorial evidence - it's astonishing. They're in a planter box though, with really good soil so that might help, and because they're in the planter box I have to water them every second day - that's probably why they've had such phenomenal growth.

    And Belinda wow is right. It's always so lovely when things go as you'd hope!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow please let me know the name of this Lilly Pilly please?

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x