Sunday, May 01, 2016

sorry, i've been busy...

Oh, hello, it's been a while hasn't it? (let's totally ignore the fact that it's been since December shall we?) I've been up to a fair bit, so I thought I'd fill you in.

Firstly, this fathead has learned to climb the ladder to get to the top of the bookshelf. He's quite keen on their either pushing books off one-by-one, or climbing behind the books, getting squished. Not so keen, or effective, at getting back down again...



Creative events in Newcastle have continued to hold me in their thrall. It's not my fault I go out a lot, it's Newcastle's. There's so many fabulous things - like Propel at Catapult Dance in Newcastle West. Serious talent happening there. And I just love the atmosphere.


If I had to have a favourite indoor bar (my 'outdoor' one would be MoneyPenny at Honeysuckle) it'd be Coal & Cedar. Have a look at the dedication to the speakeasy theme!


Popping up around Newcastle are these delightful items. You know those weird electricity thingies? That are about thigh-high? Well, some glorious artist has been decorating them. This is my fave, it's a wee bride, perfect for the Bridal District!


I recently discovered that not only am I good at drinking cocktails, I can also mix a pretty mean one. My friend Athena and I went to a cocktail-making class at The Blind Monk at Hamilton and it was crazy fun. We didn't win the competition because I am pretty sure it was rigged ;)


I also went with my friend Cathy to learn how to crochet. AND I MADE THIS! I was so bloody delighted with myself. I've now bought some more wool and I'm just waiting for winter to sit in so I can crochet a pillow's worth of granny squares.


My cat remains ridiculously beautiful. He also coordinates nicely with just about every item of furniture in my house which is handy.


When my mum and step-dad were up from Melbourne we went to quite a few sessions of the ever-fabulous Newcastle Writers Festival. I fell in love with Tony Windsor while I was there. What a genuine man he is. I also saw a rainbow in the fountain. I love rainbows.

And fountains.

And public art, like this fountain.


We went to Bowral with my in-laws for a few days in the school holidays. We visited a very lovely nursery in Berrima and I fell in love with these stairs.


I also fell in love with these meringue mice at The Magpie Café at Berrima. They had plates piled with so many sweets that I couldn't help but swoon. But swoon was all I did as I had way too much of the beef and mulled wine pie to fit in another thing.

Even rhubarb crumble.

Who even am I?



 When you are learning to drive you have to fill in a log book with 120 hours of driving. When you live in the city, and five minutes from your daughter's school that is VERY difficult to achieve in a year. So we're now trying to notch up weekend country drives. The other weekend we drove out to Catherine Hill Bay. It was bloody beautiful.


Things I love: looking up at buildings at night. Here's our City Hall clock tower that's just been masterfully-restored. Next step, is restoring the building itself which is bringing me delight.


Speaking of things that are bringing me delight: this initiative. The café area downstairs below the Civic Theatre has never really been a success. I want something that's open for a coffee/wine/bit-to-eat before or after a show. But it needed that and more, I reckon this is it, Civic Digest is a digital library/wine bar and café.

The coffee was very good. I'll be back.


One benefit of unseasonably warm weather is that my roses are glorious!


I went to dinner the other night to celebrate that her PhD was accepted and she's officially a Dr! Obviously champagne was called for. So we went to Una Volta, a glorious little Italian place that has free BYO. The food was sublime, and look how cute my little red Fiat looks parked out the front!


Aside from that there's netball coaching again (love my new team!), coping with a child doing Year 11 (help me please!) and enjoying new challenges at work.

How about you?

2 comments:

  1. Stop making me homesick!!! My latest news is that I'm doing social media for an alcohol group called the drinks association ... how's that for a good fit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is AMAZING NEWS. ps: come up again soon - we need to have drinks so you can # it :)

      Delete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x