Sunday, October 12, 2014

cycle newcastle


My new aim is to convince people how easy, and wonderful, it is to cycle around our city. It really is the best way to see the place.

I've yet to start timing it, but I am quite positive that it is quicker and way cheaper to ride into the city than drive. Parking costs in Newcastle are getting crazy-expensive - and who wants more cars in a city? (Not this little black duck!)

A few weeks ago I went on the Spring Fling vintage bike ride and it was a joy to ride en-masse with other cyclists. Newcastle's pretty flat, with some lovely wide streets for cycling - and some dedicated cycle-walking paths (nowhere near enough, but hey, we can lobby for more).

There's so much you don't see if you don't ride. For example, look at the lovely harbourside poetry I snapped last weekend out at Nobbys breakwall. Stunning.

Riding also gives you time to gaze adoringly at our historic architecture - particularly through Cooks Hill and the East End. What's not to love?

Because I live in an area annoyingly unserviced by Public Transport, my aim is to cycle as much as I possibly can. I've even worked out a way to get to work - cycle to Civic Station, then catch the train to uni and back again! Just in time for Ride2Work day on Wednesday October 22. There'll be a free breakfast at Wheeler Place in Newcastle from 7am - 9am - and there's one at the uni too (for Ride2Uni Day!) Hurrah!

Where will you #CycleNewcastle this week?

4 comments:

  1. Love this post! And just in time for ride2work day too. I hope you don't mind if I spruik it here ... Wednesday 15 October there will be a free breakfast at wheeler place from 7-9am, there's one at the uni too, but you probably already knew that ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, of course! I will edit my post to suit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The breakfast has now been changed to next Wednesday due to expected bad weather, same time and place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have already updated! Luckily was working on a release for work and found out about the change. Am happy as I'll be able to ride! Let's hope for NO MAGPIES!

      Delete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x