Saturday, December 29, 2012

new year, new things


Hello! How was your Christmas? And are you enjoying a little break {I am - far too much!}. Can you believe that we're winding down and getting ready for another year? Eek! I can't believe that today's my last day with a 12-year-old. Yep, my gal turns 13 tomorrow. Wow. I can still clearly remember being pregnant. How quickly does time fly?

So, with that in mind, it's time to move forward with a sense of purpose.

Last night on Twitter, someone I follow shared his list of 52 new things he's tried this year. And they were ace. So, inspired by this, I thought I'd come up with 52 things I'd like to try. Ready?
1. Try a new recipe a week.
2. Learn a new French word each day. {Hey, shall I share it here? That'll help me non?}
3. Learn something new as a family: surfing, stand up paddle boarding - hmmm, let me think...
4. Read a biography a month.
5. Take up yoga.
6. Have a family picnic dinner at the beach.
7. Drink my morning coffee outdoors - on the front veranda, or out the back by the pool.
8. Go for a swim before breakfast.
9. Eat raw food for a weekend.
10. Discover a new band/new music each month.
11. Actually call my friends and family.
12. Take more photos - real ones, not just Instagram shots.
13. Catch up with friends IRL, not just on Twitter.
14. Be a tourist in my own town and uncover some surprises.
15. Sew something!
16. Learn to crochet.
17. Spend one night a week digital-free {no TV, no internet!}
18. Take a cooking class with a friend.
19. Say no.
20. Organise a pot-luck supper with friends.
21. Organise regular girl-time with my gal.
22. Ride my bike on the Fernleigh Track.
23. Have a family bikeride.
24. Ride to the Farmer's Market.
25. Ride to work.
26. Print out my holiday pics, frame them, and hang them.
27. Weed out my magazine collection.
28. Start saving for our next OS holiday.
29. Take my gal fishing.
30. Go on more dates with my husband.
31. See more live music {this was a highlight of 2012!}
32. Make the bed every day.
33. Start shopping locally again - the fruit shop, the butcher, the markets.
34. Take my lunch to work.
35. Find a virtual book club to join - or make one up!
36. Go body surfing with the body surfing kit I found in the linen closet {seriously, that place is a tardis, the things I find}.
37. Organise another Newy Tweet up {the last one was awesome, this one will be better}.
38. Spontaneously invite someone to dinner.
39. Give blood more regularly.
40. Get a mammogram.
41. Become one of those people who actually puts away washing when they bring it in from the line. Seriously, how hard can it be?
42. Flirt more with my husband.
43. Watch more comedies.
44. Read with my daughter.
45. Learn to cook dumplings and pork buns.
46. Up the vege ante in my husband and daughter's diets.
47. Go to the park at dusk and swing on the swings.
48. Never make an excuse to miss burlesque class. It's my favourite thing - WHY would I miss a class?
49. Lie on the grass gazing at the clouds.
50. Swim in the ocean baths.
51. Sell the old car.
52. Laugh daily.

Whew, well there you have it. Some mundane, some easy, all do-able. Let's see how I go shall we?

18 comments:

  1. Wow...love your list can I pinch a few for mine...hehe Have a wonderful 2013 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Then we can urge each other on. {PS: Have just TOTALLY made the bed - and it's not even clean sheet day!}

      Delete
  2. Fantastic list, can't wait to hear how you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Polly - have already cheatily started - booked tickets for Baby et Lulu at Lizottes (local live music venue) for a date night for hubby and I on Valentines Day. Awwwww.

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! Good luck with it, sounds totally doable to me and a brilliant way forward for 2013.
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Corinne, I hope so. i wanted them to be fabulously do-able. I've already got off to a cracking start! Happy new year xx

      Delete
  4. Fantastic list. Happy New Year. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been drafting my New Years Blog and working on my list of 42 things to do while I am 42!! Seriously!

    I already have a few things listed that you have listed here, Yoga, Explore Ncle and more live music...so if you are looking for someone I'm your girl!!! I also read a lot of Biographies so if you need some inspiration let me know...I might know of somewhere to secure said titles too ;)
    AND I tried to get a bookclub going a few years back, but didn't get enough people interested. Maybe online is the way to go, def keen on that one!

    Great post, inspired me to finish my 42.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot BELIEVE how similar our lists were - kindred spirits indeed. Looking forward to sharing fabulous times with you this year. xx

      Delete
  6. That is one fantastic list you have there!! Unfortunately many of the items are beyond me at my advanced age but I have chosen a few that I too will try and do during 2013: (#2) (I learned some French at school and it is a language I've always wished I could speak. I still use a few French phrases but perhaps I could learn a little more). The others are 7, 11, 14, 17, 19, 32, 41, 43 and 52. I have made a note of what they are and try and succeed if I can.
    Hope your daughter has a fabulous 13th birthday and wishes to you and your loved ones for a happy, healthy and safe NEW YEAR from MOH and me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mimsie, I'm so glad you're joining in. Share with me how you go. And thank you for your kind wishes - my gal had a lovely birthday and we enjoyed a quietly fabulous new year too. xx

      Delete
  7. That's such a big list! If you can do half then it will be a very good year. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is big, but hopefully not overwhelming. I am hoping to achieve most - and those I don't will simply get added to next year's list xx.

      Delete
  8. Sounds awesome and inspiring....I started today with Spend more time friends.....in a boat on the beautiful Lake Macquarie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm hoping to ride the Fernleigh Track this year too - let me know if you want to make a thing of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh YES! The two of us on our black beauty bikes will be quite a sight. Let's organise it for a Sunday perhaps? Soon?

      Delete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x